Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: confused about adding dichlor to new pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

confused about adding dichlor to new pool water

I have filled the pool with water and according to the pool school #5 - The First 4 Days - I will need to add one ounce of dichlor for every 500 gallons of water, I added 3 1lb bags last night. Today I reread #5 and I cant seem to figure out if I added the correct amount. Can anyone help me with this? My plan was to add 3 1lb bags for the first 4 nights. I do have a TFT100 test kit and I checked the water before adding the dichlor, the ph was 8.2 I added muriatic acid according to the pool calculator instructions and lower ph to 7.5, before adding the dichlor.
    Thanks for any advice!
    17,700 gal. vinyl AG Oxford 18x33x4.5 Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed
    North Fla. (98 degrees)
    BBB Method, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: confused about adding dichlor to new pool water

I just went back to the pool calculator and re-intered the pool size and came up with 17,700 gal of water.
    17,700 gal. vinyl AG Oxford 18x33x4.5 Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed
    North Fla. (98 degrees)

3. Back To Top    #3

Where are you reading that?
    You should do a full set of tests and post the results here. Then we can advise you on what you need to adjust and how.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are following the seasonal and temporary pool guide then it would be 2 and 1/5th lbs of dichlor each day for the first four days.

A 17,700 gallon pool isn't what I would normally consider a seasonal or temporary pool, and you have a TF100, so you are probably better off taking care of it as a regular pool instead of a temporary pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you for responding.
    Does this mean I should start adding bleach and bring my #'s up to where they should be accouding to the pool calculator? Or should I continue to do the 4 day shock to bring the CYA up to 30, and then start adding the bleach? I did check the PH before adding the dichlor last night.
    New pool w/new water.

Dena
    North Fla. (98 degrees)

6. Back To Top    #6

There are different ways to do it, each with advantages and disadvantages. If you already have the dichlor, you are probably better off using it for four days as you planned, though I suggest only using two lbs a day. However, the exact details depend on your current levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I check my #'s last night when I got home from work, the PH was 7.2 so I added 57 oz of borax, waited 1 hour and then added the 2 lbs of dechlor waited 3 hours and added 220 oz of 6% bleach (added both the borax & bleach according to pool calculator). I added the bleach because the water was green from sitting for 8 days with no chemicals. Unfortunately I forgot to bring last nights #'s with me to work this morning. I did manage to bring some pool water and did the test again this morning...so here are the results:
    FC - 14ppm
    CC - 0
    TA - 130
    CH - 100
    CYA - 0 (CYA was 0 last night to)
    I'm wondering why the CYA is showing 0? After 2 nights of adding dechlor is the normal?
    North Fla. (98 degrees)

8. Back To Top    #8

The CYA test will show CYA levels below 20 as zero, so that is normal. Your actual CYA level is probably somewhere around 10 to 15.

9. Back To Top    #9

Keep a count of the volume of dichlor added, you can calculate the CYA added that way. See the bottom of the Pool Calculator for The Effect of Adding Chemicals.

PS, start a log of pool tests and chemicals added. You will learn faster that way.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.