Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: illegal end cap switch

1. Back To Top    #1

illegal end cap switch

i recently contacted A.O.Smith regarding an end cap switch assembly for a 2 speed motor. STS1072R motor specifically. they told me that

You will need to use an external switch. We no longer make the toggle switch kit since they are not legal for sale in states that have passed laws relating to pool motor efficiency.
    which kinda made me wonder - what would switch have to do with motor efficiency law? external or internal, it should not matter much. are they implying that low speed might not pass some motor efficiency law and banning switch would be a way to restrict using the low speed?

i could ask them about it, but i'm wondering if anyone here knows anything related to this matter ...
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: illegal end cap switch

In California, two speed and variable speed motors are only accepted choices when paired with an automation system that is programmed to change to a lower speed automatically after some period running at a higher speed. Similar laws are expected in Texas and Florida, though I don't believe that they exist yet. The enabling law has passed in Florida, but the specific regulations have not been published. Having a switch directly on the motor is not uniformly illegal. Switches are acceptable in some some specific situations. But for the most part an automation system with the ability to force low speed after a timeout period is required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

is it done to ensure that the pump primes up?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

The specific goal of the regulations is to make sure the pump is never run on high speed continuously for any length of time. Basically high speed is inefficient, low speed is efficient. They don't want someone accidentally leaving the pump on high speed or intentionally cheating the regulations by using a two speed pump on high speed all the time. The rules aren't foolproof, but they seem to make a reasonable compromise.

In practice it is nice to have the pump start on high speed so it primes and coats the grids of DE filters correctly and then switch to low speed for the vast majority of the runtime. What actually happens depends on what particular kind of automation system you get.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

i see. thank you for the info!

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow

Now the government is trying to regulate how we run our pool pump!

After seeing this thread I finally figured out what this is and what it really does, might be helpful for saving a bunch of $$$ too!

http://www.tightwatt.com/benefits-of-pooltimers.html
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI - this was discussed 2 years ago at a pool seminar I attended in Ct. a couple years ago, along with that, any pump over 1 HP would have to be 2 speed, etc.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)