Hello all. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and have learned more than I ever could have from my pool builder or other 'pool guys'. But I do have a few questions that I can't seem to find specific answers for so I thought I'd ask you. The builder didn't give me much more than a brief introduction on how things work so I could use a little more info. My pool has only been opened 2 weeks now and the family and I are very excited. I try and act like I know what I'm doing so the wife doesn't worry too much but truthfully I've been kinda flying by the seat of my pants. I think I got the basics down but need to nail down some details.
1. Do the the pump and filter listed in my signature seem to 'fit' with my pool or are they too big (if there is such a thing)?
2. My filter does not have a manual air bleeder valve. should it and, if so, can I have my builder put one on?
One of the first things I did after reading this site was to buy a TF100 Test Kit. Here are my results from last night:
my FC has always seemed to be low so every night I try to get it up to 3-4. if we swim all day, I'll end up with .5-1 before I add more bleach at night.
3. Ph seems to always want to creep up. once it gets to 7.8, I add some Ph down to bring it back down to 7.5. is this ok or should I bring it down even further to 7.2?
4. should I adjust my TA and CH?
5. the test for CYA has been a little confusing to me. I end up with basically a full tube and can still see a dot on the bottom, although its not black, more of a silver color but I can still make it out. so I estimate it to be around 10 but am I doing this test right? I've added some conditioner last night to see if I can bring it up but didn't think I should test it again for a few days. maybe once I bring it up I can see how the black dot is supposed to disappear.....
6. The 'Recommended Levels' link in Pool School mentions that adjustments to those recommended levels should be made for new plaster but doesn't mention what these adjustments are. Can anyone tell me what my levels should be?
I've been concentrating on my FC and Ph levels since the pool opened and figured I'd adjust the other levels once I got those to where they should be. I think I've done that. I've been adding bleach daily, adding in Ph down here and there, and added Conditioner twice now (the last time last night). my pool is pretty clear but I think it could be more clear. not sure if one of my levels is a little out of whack, preventing a crystal clear pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.