Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 360 causing sand to enter pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 360 causing sand to enter pool?

I have been struggling with sand from my sand filter ending up at the bottom of my pool. At first I thought the problem was due to the fact that there were no check valves coming from the solar panels. I installed check valves (one between the pump and filter and one on the return from the solar panels) and am still getting sand. I think I have isolated the problem to my polaris 360 pool cleaner. I left the polaris disconnected for about 10 days and had no sand at the bottom of the pool. Yesterday I hooked up the polaris and let it do it's thing for about 8 hours and sure enough there was sand at the bottom of the pool when I got home from work. My filter pressure is about 28 when I run the polaris and about 12 when I don't run it. Could I have a broken lateral in my filter and only get sand released when the polaris is running because the pressure goes up? I just purchased this house and pool just over a year ago and I have had this problem from the beginning so I don't know if the problem was always there when the polaris was used or not. Ever hear of this?
    15k gal, Fiberglass, SWG, Haward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Polaris 360 causing sand to enter pool?

That could certainly be the cause. It could be a crack and is mostly sealed off under normal pressure but opens up under higher pressure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit