Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Interesting!

1. Back To Top    #1

Interesting!

Passing along a little info, and of course always open to comment.

Typically when we get a storm, it drives my pH up. I'm used to it, and actually welcome it most the time since I don't have any aeration going on in my pool. Last night we got hammered with a very long storm, around 3 or 4 hours. Checked the pool today, of course the chlorine was a little low, but still in range, lots of leaves and organics in the pool (a ton of carpenter ants for some reason?) but pH was LOW. I did not expect it to be low! My borates were a little low so added Borax, and have a couple of homemade aerators running (wait until you see these things!!!).

Again, just really surprised it shifted pH the way it did, and open to comment!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Interesting!

I dunno.......my PH always goes up as well. The other half of your ants are in MY pool! Only got a half inch rain out of it over here. Crossing fingers for more tonite.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not the point of the thread, but I'm just north of you and we had a ton of carpenter ants in the pool today as well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this?
    14k gallons, SWG, inground plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Borates eliminated them for me, but my pool overflowed big time in the last storms and did again last night, so my borates are down. I put one box in tonight, especially since my pH was down, need to buy more tomorrow.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I just found out we had over 3" last night.

6. Back To Top    #6

Agitation drives pH up. Fresh water with low pH drives pH down, rain is usually between 6 and 7 IIRC. Acid rain drives pH down even more. The end effect depends on the volume of water.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is weird. Last big storms had the opposite effect. Lesson learned? Check every time after a big storm!

I should mention I'm running borates, which buffers the effect most the time.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was just talking with my sister last night about our pools and PH. Normally here in NE Ohio rain drops your PH like a rock! Well it rained most of last week and when I checked my PH last night it was sky high! Glad I checked because normally I just toss PH+ in after a rain without bothering to test! The same thing happened to her this week.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater