When to add chlorine.

Jun 1, 2011
Oakdale, CT
I have a quick ? but I figure I'd post my results first fearing a tongue lashing if I don't.
Fc 7.0
Cc 0
Ta 95
Ph 7.4
Ch 100
Borates 50
Cya 45

So my question is this:
Is it best to add chlorine daily even if I don't reach my minimum fc or should I wait til it gets close to the minimum?

I prefer to add enough chlorine at night to be +1ppm of my target FC. Gives you more than enough buffer if you happen to have an unusual amount of sun or bather load and let's the chlorine do it's thing overnight :goodjob:

I typically add it daily and I try not to let it get to the minimum. Sometimes, it only takes a little bit to get under the minimum and open up the door for an algae bloom.

I'll add daily in the evening.

The reason I ask is because with my work schedule and the fact that we only use the pool every few days and that I keep the pool free of organic debris with the robot and filter, is there any harm in letting it go for a couple days when there's no bather load and then be more attentive when the load goes up?

An steady, constant application is best. The more the chlorine level fluctuates up and down, the more chance there is of it getting too low and algae to get a foothold.

With CYA of 45, you should stay between 4-6 daily. However, If you chose to got to 8ppm and let it drift down to 4 over a two day period, that works, too......just probably not as ideal. As long as you stay above your minimum, it is acceptable

I guess I am the odd ball here. I test in the morning and add chlorine in the morning. Because I run my pool only during the day if I added chemicals at night I would have to turn my pool on again to distribute the chemicals. My pool typically uses 3ppm of chlorine per day. If my test shows anything under 7ppm I add 3ppm, if test shows 7ppm or over I skip a day.

Likewise my pump only runs during the day (solar heating) - so the pump is off by the time the sun is off the pool.

What I am currently doing is testing and adding chlorine in the evening - to save running the pump again I sweep the pool walls quickly with a 'Whale Wall Brush'. This seems to mix the water (I can see quite a bit of turbulance on the surface when using the 'Whale Wall Brush') and is working well.

As posted in another thread I adjust to 6ppm chlorine each evening and it uses about 3ppm to get back to ~ 3pmm the next evening - which is fine for my CYA of 45.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I add in the morning too since the pump is running and no one is whining to swim at that time. We usually swim in the evenings so I don't want to be adding chemicals then. I test and adjust everyday only because if I skip a day it never fails that something happens the next day and I can't get to it and then I am 2 days with out adding and that could be bad. This way I always have a cushion if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.