Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to add chlorine.

1. Back To Top    #1

When to add chlorine.

I have a quick ? but I figure I'd post my results first fearing a tongue lashing if I don't.
    Fc 7.0
    Cc 0
    Ta 95
    Ph 7.4
    Ch 100
    Borates 50
    Cya 45

So my question is this:
    Is it best to add chlorine daily even if I don't reach my minimum fc or should I wait til it gets close to the minimum?
    24,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl, hayward de filter, automatic chlorinator with tricolor tabs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to add chlorine.

I add in the evening usually around sunset but wait until it gets near the minimum, otherwise I leave it alone.

Hi neighbor
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

I prefer to add enough chlorine at night to be +1ppm of my target FC. Gives you more than enough buffer if you happen to have an unusual amount of sun or bather load and let's the chlorine do it's thing overnight
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I typically add it daily and I try not to let it get to the minimum. Sometimes, it only takes a little bit to get under the minimum and open up the door for an algae bloom.

I'll add daily in the evening.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sundown and whatever it takes to get to Target +1.................(or 2).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Sundown and whatever it takes to get to Target +1.................(or 2).
    Yep, same here.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

When to add chlorine.

The reason I ask is because with my work schedule and the fact that we only use the pool every few days and that I keep the pool free of organic debris with the robot and filter, is there any harm in letting it go for a couple days when there's no bather load and then be more attentive when the load goes up?
    24,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl, hayward de filter, automatic chlorinator with tricolor tabs

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

An steady, constant application is best. The more the chlorine level fluctuates up and down, the more chance there is of it getting too low and algae to get a foothold.

With CYA of 45, you should stay between 4-6 daily. However, If you chose to got to 8ppm and let it drift down to 4 over a two day period, that works, too......just probably not as ideal. As long as you stay above your minimum, it is acceptable
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I am the odd ball here. I test in the morning and add chlorine in the morning. Because I run my pool only during the day if I added chemicals at night I would have to turn my pool on again to distribute the chemicals. My pool typically uses 3ppm of chlorine per day. If my test shows anything under 7ppm I add 3ppm, if test shows 7ppm or over I skip a day.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

10. Back To Top    #10

Likewise my pump only runs during the day (solar heating) - so the pump is off by the time the sun is off the pool.

What I am currently doing is testing and adding chlorine in the evening - to save running the pump again I sweep the pool walls quickly with a 'Whale Wall Brush'. This seems to mix the water (I can see quite a bit of turbulance on the surface when using the 'Whale Wall Brush') and is working well.

As posted in another thread I adjust to 6ppm chlorine each evening and it uses about 3ppm to get back to ~ 3pmm the next evening - which is fine for my CYA of 45.

11. Back To Top    #11

I add in the morning too since the pump is running and no one is whining to swim at that time. We usually swim in the evenings so I don't want to be adding chemicals then. I test and adjust everyday only because if I skip a day it never fails that something happens the next day and I can't get to it and then I am 2 days with out adding and that could be bad. This way I always have a cushion if needed.
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011