How would you handle this pool store experience?

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
I didn't know exactly which forum to post this in...apologies if it's the wrong one.

By no means am I an expert, but I'm experienced with the BBB method (and with pool chemistry in general). A wind storm over the winter messed up my cover something fierce, so I wound up with a ton of leaves in the bottom of my pool. I called the local pool store to find out if they had a way to vacuum everything out quickly...whoever answered took my number and said someone would call me back. A few hours later, someone knocked at my door (they never bothered to tell me someone was coming) and said there was no easy way to vacuum everything out (this much I believe, there was a LOT of debris) and said what we needed to do was pull as much a possible out with a leaf rake and then do the vacuuming. I paid him a relatively modest amount to rake out the debris for an hour, and, to be fair, he did a nice job with that.

Afterward, he came back to the door and told me they could do the vacuuming a few days later, to fill my pool up with water extra high since they'd be displacing a good amount of water (again, that much I believe)...and, that my CYA of 50ppm was low and that it should be around 100ppm, and that they'd add more stablizer next time they came out. :shock:

I smiled and nodded even though I knew that was ridiculous...I needed to think things over before acting like I knew more than the "professional". I wanted to give this guy the benefit of the doubt...I searched everything I could find for someone who actually believed 100ppm CYA was a good idea. I could find NOTHING...not even from pool-store advocates...the closest I could find were people who believed 100ppm was the absolute maximum...but with the pucks and shock the pool store would certainly want to sell me, I'd be in algae-bloom territory quite quickly, no doubt.

So, my options for handling this as best I can figure out are...

1) Let the pool store crew do the vacuuming, but tell them not to add any chemicals. PRO: my pool gets cleaned. CON: I give more money to a company which at best has a poorly trained employee, and at worst has an employee wanting to sabotage my pool for more money in the future.

2) Cancel the next appointment for reasons unknown, or for a fake reason (e.g. I don't have the money right now). PRO: I don't give money to the pool store. CON: my pool stays dirty.

3) Cancel the next appointment and explain exactly why. PRO: I keep my money and keep my head held high. CON: the employee could lose his job in this tough economy and come shoot me dead.

What would you do??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ElkPool said:
I just don't appreciate being lied to! I'm just theatening them because I don't want them dumping more stabilizer into my pool!

And how can they dump more stabilizer into your pool if you do not hire them to come back and do work? A total over reactif you ask me. :shock:

Thank them for doing an excellent job on removal of the debris. That was why you had called them in the first place and you are a satisfied customer. But...Tell them in very clear language that you decline any help with water chemistry and vacuuming and you are going to be handling it yourself from here on out.

Lock the gate so they don't have access to your pool. I'm justa bit paranoid as they simply showed up at your door once and may do it again.

You could even write a letter to the store owner stating they did a good job, but no further assistance will be needed at this time. Hand deliver the letter and buy a pool vacuum from them to show your appreciation. Who knows, you may need their help later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.