|................|
    |................|
    |..........6'....|
    B................|
    B................|
    B..........3.5'..|
    B _ _r_ _r_ _s_ |
    WEST
    B = seim out ench (no stairs), r and R = returns, s = skimmer, w = waterfall, the bump out is a swim out bench. The waterfall is not usually on.

The wind runs West->East 75% of the time and East->West the rest of the time.

Today I have the return closest to the skimmer pointing at the deep end (the middle) slightly to the left of itself. The return next to it is angled towards the wall just past the swim out bench, just low enough to see surface flow without breaking the water too much. The far return (R) I have pointing straight ahead, flat.

I want to put a return skimmer at R. But which way should I point the out flow? I don't think I get very good flow to the NE corner of the pool. So my initial thought is to point the return skimmer's output in that direction. Is this right? What about the other returns?

I'd love to get suggestions for how to configure these with and without a return skimmer too.

Thanks in advance

Edited a whole bunch of times to get the pool layout right in the post; looked fine in the editor window; not anymore.
    I added a [code] tag, which seems to help. JasonLion
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pointing returns

How about pointing them so they circulate the water in a clockwise direction.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    How about pointing them so they circulate the water in a clockwise direction.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ours circulate counter clockwise.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I was going for with my current setup excel that te first return is pointing straight to the middle o the pool. I'll turn that one to the left a bit.

What about if I put in a pool skim? Same thing?

6. Back To Top    #6

From your sketch I interpreted that the pool is rectangular, If you added clock postions to it, 12 would have a return, 1 or 2 would have a water fall, 4 or 5 would be a skimmer, 6 would be a return, between 7 and 8 would be a return. Going on that assumption.
    From what I understand you want to in general you want water mixing and a surface current to carry things towards the skimmer. I understand your water feature doesn't always run, but you don't want to work against it when it is running. (it's opposite the skimmer) so that is why I recommended clockwise rotation. Hope that makes sense. When standing behind the returns you'd want them pointing towards the left.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Given what we know about the Coriolus effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect), for best efficiency the returns should be pointed to make the flow clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

9. Back To Top    #9

The Coriolus effect makes no difference here. The effect is so small that you will never notice it and never be able to even measure an efficiency difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Jason, a little tongue in cheek that I guess my emoticon didn't convey
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

11. Back To Top    #11

I should clarify that the reason I asked was that the upper left corner seems to get little movement because there's no return near that corner. The question I meant to ask was do I keep the flow counter clockwise (which is the consensus) or should I point the poolskim output towards that corner instead. Also I was trying to see if with the first return closest to the skimmer should I keep it pointing straight or add to the clockwise flow which has been answered too. Thanks all!