Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates the my son got a puppy.

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates the my son got a puppy.

I added borates to the pool, 50 ppm. It has done wonders keeping the pH stable and the water sparkling. Now my son brought home a new puppy. The dog is a Golden Retriever and they love to swim. At eight weeks he was already swimming better than he could walk. My son lives a block away so the dog isn't in the pool daily, but he is here a few times a week. Should I be concerned about the borate level in the pool.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Borates the my son got a puppy.

I wouldn't worry. The dog would only be at the threshold of detectable symptoms if it drank all of it's daily water from the pool for a long period of time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Chiefwej, I was also worried about my Lab and Borates. She drank the water when swimming around like she was going to the electric chair, but now that I'm borated she does like the taste! I don't think it tastes bad but she must! It's a night and day change! I wouldn't sweat it.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas, TX

Mine take a little lap or two out of it from time to time, but not as much as they did when there were no borates. I don't know if they are put off by it now, or that me saying "no" a couple of times worked.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!