Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: reducing frequency of chlorine additions

1. Back To Top    #1

reducing frequency of chlorine additions

Is it bad to bring FC levels to just under shock levels each time you add chlorine in order to reduce the frequency of chlorine additions? For instance, I have my spa at a CYA of 60. By bringing it up to FC of 20 ppm (shock is 24ppm), I can get 6-7 days before it creeps down to the minimum of 5ppm.

Can't I just repeat this cycle over and over so I wouldn't have to test as often (I start testing on day 4) nor add chlorine as often? The only disadvantages I can think of is that it probably uses more bleach and there may be a risk to equipment, but it is under shock levels.

but it is very convenient.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: reducing frequency of chlorine additions

Also harder on swim suits, hair, skin, etc at a constantly higher level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

It will use about three or four times as much chlorine, and you will probably only be able to get four days out of it, instead of five or six. You would be much better off getting a SWG, Liquidator, or bleach pump if your main concern is reducing the amount of work you need to do.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Where/What would one find a good bleach pump

5. Back To Top    #5

My 8 gallon liquidator reduced the amount of trips I have to take bleach anywhere, and was relatively inexpensive. If nothing else, I don't have to carry bleach from the car to the pool anymore, which is a bit of a jog.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by APrime
    Where/What would one find a good bleach pump
    http://www.ezpool.com/
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I got my injection pump from U.S. Water Systems. I love it so far. The only problem I have with it is my lazy nature wants to take over. I have to make myself test and check the system as often as I should.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ditto!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I am using a setup very similar to Bama (Dave) and so far it is working out really well. We are both using Stenner peristaltic pumps and a 15 gallon tank to hold the bleach. With my current FC demand of just under 1 gallon per day, that is just over 2 weeks I can go w/o having to manually add bleach. That is using 5.25% bleach, if I could find 10% or 12% bleach cheaper, could go for a month. This setup will run you about $300 and was very easy to do.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub