Dirt cheap solar heating

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I keep a hose more-or-less permanently attached to the spigot on my filter return line, as I drain and refill periodically to lower CH. But that's a different topic.

The weather here has been bizarre; more like England than Southern California. So the pool just won't warm up, and I'm too cheap to run the heater. So I'm out puttering, and get the brainstorm last week and laid said hose on the patio, where it can get hot. The water's still coming and going to the same place, but this way it's getting warmed a little.

Today, the sun finally came out of hiding, so I cracked the valve a little and have it warming again. I also have a black, 100' hose attached to the hose bib on the house. I need to add another inch or so to the pool, so I dragged that whole hose out on the patio and have the water just trickling into the pool.

Cost? Running the pump outside the normally programmed time. That's it.

Sounds like a great idea since you needed to add water anyway. You're probably not used to needing to warm your pool in S.California... so I can't say I feel sorry for you. :lol:

Here in Indiana we had about one great week and lots of rain off and on since. As soon as the water starts to heat up (even w/our solar heat) it rains again and adds another inch or more of cold water to the pool. :rant: One of these days we'll be able to get back in it again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.