Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt cheap solar heating

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Dirt cheap solar heating

I keep a hose more-or-less permanently attached to the spigot on my filter return line, as I drain and refill periodically to lower CH. But that's a different topic.

The weather here has been bizarre; more like England than Southern California. So the pool just won't warm up, and I'm too cheap to run the heater. So I'm out puttering, and get the brainstorm last week and laid said hose on the patio, where it can get hot. The water's still coming and going to the same place, but this way it's getting warmed a little.

Today, the sun finally came out of hiding, so I cracked the valve a little and have it warming again. I also have a black, 100' hose attached to the hose bib on the house. I need to add another inch or so to the pool, so I dragged that whole hose out on the patio and have the water just trickling into the pool.

Cost? Running the pump outside the normally programmed time. That's it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt cheap solar heating

Sounds like a great idea since you needed to add water anyway. You're probably not used to needing to warm your pool in S.California... so I can't say I feel sorry for you.

Here in Indiana we had about one great week and lots of rain off and on since. As soon as the water starts to heat up (even w/our solar heat) it rains again and adds another inch or more of cold water to the pool. One of these days we'll be able to get back in it again!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: Dirt cheap solar heating

That's cheating Richard!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!