Help me with layout and wiring please

May 1, 2011
Hello all. I posted a month back about an L shaped pool plan, that has changed due to cost. We have decided on a 20x40 rectangle vinyl and the pool is bought and sitting in my garage. It will be a sub'd out build and they should start in a week or two.

I have a terrible drawing to help you see things better.

I have a seperate workshop with a 100amp panel/service installed, which will feed my pool. We will run 60amp service to the back on my workshop where the Goldline Aqua Plus subpanel box will sit. The pool equipment will sit there on a pad as well. No heater, only 1.5HP Hayward 2 spd Northstar pump, 36" sand filter (buddy hookup), polaris booster pump, Aquaplus SWG, 4 savinote LED lights, Cozy Cove swimout with jets.

I could use suggestions on the following:

Wiring the pavilion: I want receptacles, lights, fans, mini fridge. I will also run cat5 and coax while at it for phone, internet and TV (just in case). Should I stub up in the deck, or just in the ground? **Note** Pavilion will be a next year build, slab will be poured with deck. What else to consider to have in this?

Would I hate myself for not running a natural gas line to the pavilion now? Its about a 120' run. I dont cook with natural gas now but always wanted to and my grilling will be done in the pavilion once its done.

Planning to install Savinote M4 controller box in pavilion vs with equipment to be easier accessed (Good idea?) 3 savinotes installed in pool wall and 1 in entry step, each will have its own conduit run from light to controller box. Is there anyway to have these on a light switch for easy on/off?

My wife wants a "spray off" area somewhere, to be able to hose off before or after swimming. I have no water line in this general area, wondering how to do this?

Should I consider any drains of some kind in the pool deck, or in the pavilion deck? How exactly is that done?

I know there are PVC aerator addons to screw into returns, is there anything I should consider now, before building, to have something built in? Like those fan sprays mounted in pool walls or something else? My only concern would be adding more holes in the liner, adding more likely problem spots, or not really?

Like this
biggal49.jpg

I am not installing deck jets in the concrete, my guy hates doing them and wants a pretty $$ to do it because he dont like dealing with them. Considered what some others have done to put in landscaping. my deck however will be 8' on both sides so not sure if it would be to far away to be good. They would likely need to shoot 10' to hit the water.

Just trying to think of anything I would wish I had done...Anything you wished you had done, please share. Thanks!

My crude drawing

Attachments

• electrical.jpg
    electrical.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 177
Code requires a convenience outlet and pump shut-off near the pool. NEC 680.26 will give the specifics.

You will want to allow for control of the lights at the pavillion. I brought water/power/TV/phone into my poolhouse via conduit and pipe that comes out of the ground next to the slab and then through the wall. Easier to dig, but exposed. Since you could do that on the backside I'd consider it. I brought a few extra pairs of speaker wire too. I'm thinking about a doorbell chime and/or a driveway alert.

Natural gas might be nice for a firepit or fireplace too. Makes the area useful even when it's not warm enough to swim.

Water is almost a must near the pool. Filling, rinsing the deck etc., etc.. I buried a shallow line that I drain in the fall when I winterize the pool.

We wouldn't use a spray off area, since we change clothes in the poolhouse, but a half bath in the poolhouse is a wonderful mess saver for the house.

Don't forget electrical bonding. 680.26 will help you there as well, but it mystifies a lot of people, even the pros.

Good tips, thanks. For our "pavilion" it will be an open design, something like this is what we invision

Your right, I will HAVE to have some water over there for that. I have one on the side of the house, probably 75' from the pool but not that convenient.

I really would like to add a 1/2 bath out there, but I would have to come up with something for septic. I know the ol 55 gallon drum trick and am not ruling it out. My wife is not excited about the house traffic that will come with the pool. Did you add one in yours?

Attachments

• 1_16_hampton_home_gazebo_pavilion-lg.jpg
    1_16_hampton_home_gazebo_pavilion-lg.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 162
We have a bath and an equipment room in ours. We enclosed ours with screened panels. Flies and mosquitoes won't let you sit outside comfortably here.

Very nice to have a place to store suits, towels, pool toys and chemicals as well as a changing area and bath. Ido like the look of the example you posted.

So on the gas line, I am thinking for future if nothing else, I would like to have natural gas for cooking and a firepit. Would I need to have a plumber run the line to both places (assuming I knew where I wanted them) and have them stubbed out in the concrete, or do they not usually do that in the concrete?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.