Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build Estimate.......Opinions???

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build Estimate.......Opinions???

Area: Bonita Springs, FL
    Pool Size: 13 x 29 (3 or 3.5 to 5.5 deep)
    Walkout steps
    4" bench
    Spa (6 jets) pavers raised 6" and then another 6" stepping to spa
    SWG
    Auto Fill
    2 lights
    Heat pump
    Additional pump for 4 2' descents around spa
    Pavers and lanai around pool for total of 22' x 55'
    1" pavers on present concrete deck from house (new construction) approx. 42' x 8'
    All equipment is Jandy

$59K

This is all from memory and if need be can update when I get home but thought I would throw it out there for opinions.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build Estimate.......Opinions???

It would be easier to assess it you broke up the pool from the lanai (assuming that is a separate structure). For the pool, your best bet is to get at least a couple of additional bids and check this forum for similar pool bids in Florida. My take (not very official) is that it should run about $30-$35K for the pool, considering the quite standard setup.
    OB Pool - 45K Gal. 64'x25' free-form IG - 35'x18" raised bond beam - Swim up bar w/ 5 stools - 14'x8 ' sunken patio/grill area w/ icemaker, fridge, SS cabinets, sink, granite counters, dual head grill - 14' spa w/12 venturi jets - 2 fire bowls - 1 firepit - Indeck drink cooler - 3 fiberlit waterfalls - 14' sun shelf with 2 fiberlit bubblers - 25 x fiberlit star floor fixtures - 5 Pentair Intelliflow 3HP pumps - Tiger Shark QC Cleaner - 4 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Intellichlor IC40 alt cells - Intellitouch i9 w/ i10x expansion - Pentair IS10 spa side remote - MobileTouch2 - 4 Valve Actuators - Silencer Blower - Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter - 2 fiberlit laminars - 4 Fiberstar Illuminators - Perimeter fiberlit bar counter and spa - 2 Bermuda Skimmers - 8 Returns - Hydrazzo custom color plaster - Natural quartz ledging - Glass Mosaic Tile - 2000 sq ft paver deck w/ double banded poured coping - Interfab G-Force Pool slide.

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like a bit on the high side for Florida. I second spillmar suggestion.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok.

Pool 18,800
    Spa raised 12". 8,400
    Raised steps 12' brick mirrored bullnose. 480
    Raised beam w/tile 6' x 12'. 540
    Same 6' x6'. 420
    Four 2' descents. 2,200
    Raised rooters 30 6" & 12". 600
    4' swim out. 400
    6 hp heat pump. 3600
    Electric RS-4, water feature pump, air blower, heat pump. 3,600
    Extra light 450
    Decco drain 55'. 440
    Footers 99'. 2475
    Auto fill. 600
    Salt Gen. 1100

Brick pool deck. 4537
    Screen enclosure. 8100
    Lanai covered 1" brick 1996

That's the simple breakdown. Without the normal extras.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

5. Back To Top    #5

That sounds way high! I would ask for a breakdown of everything. That way you can get a better idea where your money is going. I'm guessing he is making a hefty profit. When I was building my pool all the PB's that came out at the time the going rate for rock was $1000 a ton!! I built my own pool and I paid $125 a ton delivered! So my rock work alone saved me about $9000! The quotes I got for the dig were anywhere from $4800-7700, I got it done for 3400. The tile they wanted $25 a foot installed, I got the coping and tile installed for $900! I bought the tile myself and spent less than $200. For what I was quoted on white plaster I got Diamond Brite quartz and still saved $1000! I'm sure your equipment is making them money also. It's all how much time you want to devote to your build. The more you research and shop around you will save. But if you want to just write a check and then go swimming then go for it! $59k to me is outrageous. My .02?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

6. Back To Top    #6

Your second list is much more reasonable. That list totals to around $45k and includes a screen enclosure and automation system, neither of which I saw in the first list.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Something sounds fishy to me. Our pool was about the same price and that included the water tile, pebble finish plaster, sheer descent, SWG and about 1500 sq ft of pavers. I paid 1K extra for the footers for the screen.
    The screen sounds reasonable and the heat pump sounds reasonable. I think that you can do better. PM me with a phone number so we can talk off line if you wish.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

OK......update.

Builder came down to $55K with everything included (landscaping, sod, sprinkler replacement). Upgraded the 3 pumps (heat, filter (2 hp/2 speed) and descents). Will give weekly maintenance for 1 year, if we wish to continue, $80 per month. Also, moverd the spa back giving us more pool space. He said that we did not leave out any extra's........

Agreed to price and will go down July 20th with wife and pick out colors, etc.

Would still love comments and suggestions. Pictures will be hard to post unless we get our friends to take them during construction (we are in NJ and this will be a vacation house until we slow down).
    Julie

9. Back To Top    #9

Congrats on your new pool build. I would definitely get your friends to take pics of your new pool construction and get them to you so that you can post them here. There are lots of great people both in and out of the pool industry to give great advice with no real addenda. Sometimes the best pool builders make mistakes and we are here to help you.

10. Back To Top    #10

I am just outside Tampa and our quote was 42,000 for 14 x 28 freeform pool with 6 ft sunshelf and bubbler, 7ft oversize spa raised 18in with 6 jets and spillover to pool, 4 ft swimout, 2hp variable speed pump, electric heater, salt system, travertine decking 450sq ft plus do additional 500sq ft of existing lanai, pebbletec, child safety barrier, spa remote, led lights one in pool and one in spa, all our equipment is jandy too

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Flamomof2
    I am just outside Tampa and our quote was 42,000 for 14 x 28 freeform pool with 6 ft sunshelf and bubbler, 7ft oversize spa raised 18in with 6 jets and spillover to pool, 4 ft swimout, 2hp variable speed pump, electric heater, salt system, travertine decking 450sq ft plus do additional 500sq ft of existing lanai, pebbletec, child safety barrier, spa remote, led lights one in pool and one in spa, all our equipment is jandy too
    We are getting quotes on almost exactly what you posted. We are getting some rockwork on side of spa. Did you get automation as well? Who was your builder and were you happy? Thanks in advance!!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 16x28' Freeform Pool with sunshelf, 3.5'-5.5' depth;
    7' Spa raised 18", 6 jets alternating heights, Flagstone on raised beam
    Stonescapes mini pebble finish, Tropical Blue; Stonelock Artistic Pavers; Bronze aluminum screen enclosure
    Sta-Rite Intelliflo 3HP VS Pump and DE Filter, SWG, 400K BTU Gas Heater, Globrite LED Lights
    Easy Touch Automation with Screenlogic smartphone interface[/b]