I have used Pristine Blue for about 5 or 6 summers now since our pool was installed. Unfortunately my daughter has blond hair and we have suffered through too many summers with green hair. I'd had enough this summer and investigated the true problem since my pool store never wanted to admit the real problem was the PB. My copper levels were incredibly high and I've been trying to get them down and started using the BBB method a few weeks ago. My CYA levels have also been high around 90. So yesterday I bit the bullet and drained what I think was about 40% of the water. I was scared to go any lower and damage my liner. My new figures are below:
FC 3.5 (just added 96 oz more of bleach to bring up)
Our water temperature has been incredibly high too. It's been reading around 98 and yesterday actually said 100. It's a little rainy today and has dropped to around 92.
I took the steps apart and cleaned them really good. They are I guess what you would call the wedding cake type with lots of opening to circulate the water. But underneath the first platform where the water level usually splashes against on the steps there was a lot of yellow algae. Also, where the steps and ladder meet, inside there was this same yellow caked stuff that looked like algae too that had hardened. Could this be mustard algae? I'm trying to see if I need to shock at the higher FC level or just do a regular shock. Does anyone know?