Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool start after re polish questions

1. Back To Top    #1

pool start after re polish questions

My pool will be full in about 2 hours. I plan on doing the following, please let me you if you think this is the right approach. Suggestions appreciated!

1. Start pump
    2. Brush pool
    3. Put 6 bags of salt in the pool ( this is what the PB did after 10 days of running the pool with chlorine)
    4. Check ph, I am sure I will be in the day glow pink range -- add acid - PB added 6 gallons when the pool was first started, does that seem about right to start?

I am nervous about this hydrazzo and I dont want it to begin to scale again.

Many thanks in advance.
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool start after re polish questions

Looks ok. Don't start your SWCG until all salt is dissolved. Usually wait 24 hours after adding salt before starting the SWCG. You can add bleach in the meantime; enough to get you to about 3 ppm FC.

The PB may be doing what is known as an acid start and thus, needs to add a large amount of acid to the water.

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB says no acid, just salt and stabilizer? What no acid?
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa

4. Back To Top    #4

At this point if he said no acid I'd have him write it down. Keep a record of everything he tells you.

Sounds like you need to let him start it up and just keep up with every thing he does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

They just left, put 6 bags of salt and a bottle of Jacks Magic the magenta stuff and that is it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why would you want to add a lot of acid? We went through this in one of your other topics. You only add gallons of acid like that right after the plaster is first applied.

The next two steps are to get a complete set of water test results and start adding CYA.

Remember, SWG off for 24 hours after adding salt, you you will need to add 2 ppm of chlorine manually tonight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The PB turned on the swg.....now what?

8. Back To Top    #8

Refill water test

Pool was refilled after repolish Monday. Tuesday the PB put 6 bags of salt and 1 bottle of Jacks Magenta. Thursday the salt had not gone up, it was at 2600 so I added 1 bag. It is now at 2800.

My results are
    FAC 0
    TAC 0
    Salt 2800
    CH 100
    CYA 20
    TA 110
    pH 7.8
    Pho 500

Leslies said to add 2 lbs of hardness plus, boost my SWG and then 4 qrts Leslies Conditioner.

What do you guys think?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Re: Refill water test

Is this a vinyl liner pool? Do you have another thread about this pool started on the forum? If so, you will get more valuable answers if you add these questions into that thread and delete this thread.
    Topic merged. JasonLion
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Both PH and TA are a bit high. You should lower the PH to around 7.2, which will help the TA come down.

Your CYA is very low, especially for a SWG. As long as CYA is that low you will probably not be able to maintain FC above zero with just the SWG. As long as FC is zero, you need to manually add a little extra chlorine in the evenings to maintain the FC level. Go ahead and add the conditioner/CYA now, so this does not continue to be a problem.

How many gallons of water does your pool hold? You should put basic specs like the pool surface and how many gallons in your signature so we have enough context to answer your questions. See the User Control Panel to set your signature.

Adding CH is a great idea, but 2 lbs sounds like way too little. However, I don't know how large your pool is, so I can't say for sure. You want to raise CH up to around 300.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School