Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can you convert a AGP pump to a IGP pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

can you convert a AGP pump to a IGP pump?

I have a buried AGP and would like to know if I can convert the pump to sit above ground? Maybe using a check valve or other type plumbing? Or will I need to buy a new pump?
    17,700 gal. vinyl AG Oxford 18x33x4.5 Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed
    North Fla. (98 degrees)
    BBB Method, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can you convert a AGP pump to a IGP pump?

No you can't convert an AG pump into an IG pump but how far above the water line would the AG pump be if placed above the ground? Have you tried that already?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

as of now the pump is sitting level with the bottom of the pool... in ground, I would say it would be about a foot above the water line if I move it.

Thanks for the response,
    Leland
    17,700 gal. vinyl AG Oxford 18x33x4.5 Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed
    North Fla. (98 degrees)

4. Back To Top    #4

Some AG pumps will work fine if they are not too far above ground level and close to the pool. What is the pump make/model? How far away from the pool is it?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

we have decided to buy a new inground pool pump so that we can bring it above ground and not bother trying to convert the AG pump, thanks for responding!
    North Fla. (98 degrees)