Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles Spitting from Return - Is SWG the cause?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles Spitting from Return - Is SWG the cause?

I have a new gunite, salt water pool, and, since it was started, there have been bubbles spitting from the first pool return. I, and my pool builder, were concerned about a leak in the system. However, my PB now says that, after a thorough review of the system and researching the issue, he believes the spitting bubbles are hydrogen created by the SWG and that nothing further can be done to prevent it. Is he correct? The spitting is loud and annoying. How can I be certain it is not caused by a leak, preferably before I make final payment to the PB?
    BBB 26,700 Gal inground Vinyl lined pool with water. Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump running at 1,500 rpm 24/7. Polaris 360 with booster pump. 200Lb sand filter. Some floating dinosaurs that my 8 Year Old threw in and Hair of the Dog. Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Bubbles Spitting from Return - Is SWG the cause?

A nominal amount of bubbles emitting from the returns is normal variant for a SWCG pool. If it is really noisy though, I would check for ways that air may be entering the system.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The SWG will produce many small hydrogen gas bubbles, though I have never heard them described as "spitting". There is an easy way to test if the SWG is causing your issue, turn the SWG off, or set the percentage setting to zero percent. Then the SWG will stop producing bubbles and anything that remains is caused by something else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mount Airy, Maryland

When my water is borderline low and my skimmers are sucking in water, I get bubbles. It's an indicator for me to add water to the pool. Happens when I get lazy or have a busy week. That could be another cause if you're retrieving water from skimmers.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit