Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I wonder what this would cost?

1. Back To Top    #1

I wonder what this would cost?

I got a flyer in the mail from Leslies. They're offering a 5-year algae-free guarantee now.

The fine print says, "If you follow our simple program we guarantee you won't get algae in your pool for the next 5 years.It starts with bringing in a water sample. We'll test it, activate you in the program, and recommend a short list of products for you to consistently use (if you're not already using them). Multiple times throughout the year, you'll need to bring in a water sample for us to test. If you somehow do end up with algae, we'll provide you with the chemical products to cure it at no charge."

So I'm guessing they'll load you up with phos-free, algaecide, and trichlor. And lots and lots of those 1 lb bags of shock, for weekly shocking. I wonder what that will cost, on a weekly basis? Out of morbid curiosity, I have considered going in and discussing it with them, just to get a feel for the weekly cost. Then, armed with the facts, I could post how much cheaper it is to buy one's own test kit and keep the pool algae-free with just bleach. Did anyone else notice they only promise algae-free, not that the water would be clear nor safe to swim in? pH adjustments aren't mentioned at all...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I wonder what this would cost?

I got that too. Kinda giggled to myself as I placed it in the recycling bin.

3. Back To Top    #3

DON'T feed the Beast!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I dunno, but I couldn't stand going in there that much to get it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Crazy how algae is the bad guy and not viruses and bacteria. I caught on to that with our pool store too. Yeah, I don't want algae, but the lady at the pool store even told me...you can swim if there is algae, but I wouldn't want to.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

6. Back To Top    #6

You forgot to mention that they will periodically recommend water replacement for "chlorine lock".
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

I went to the dentist this morning and then ran some other errands, and I did stop by Leslies to pick up the Papa-san floating chair that was in the flyer. I had the flyer with me, and asked the clerk about the guarantee....caught him off guard. It appears this was the first he'd heard about it. But his explanation was "Phosphate Remover. Remove the food, and algae can't grow." I really wanted a ballpark price, but he was totally unfamiliar with the program. Maybe I'll stop in again some day and catch the manager.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL Richard. My curiosity is pretty morbid, but even "I" have to draw the line somewhere! Let us know if you find out. ALSO, let us know if you manage to keep a straight face through the whole sales pitch. Taking bets, anyone?
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

The same flyer had a buy 2 get 1 free chlorine, so that's all I'm getting this weekend!
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011