Intex sand filter - sand problems

Re: Intex sand filter

drg said:
Im thinking that this is the problem aslo, that the too small particles are getting past the grid , and are being forced into the water..just curious do know the sand spec. on the pavestone sand?
Sorry, I don't know the specs of the pavestone sand. To be honest with you i don't think it even had any specs on the bag, just said pool filter sand. I just know it works well in my filter.

:cheers:

ok couple of things here, 1. I took all the sand out to check out the grid, and standpipe and the connections..everthing looked good..Since the quickrete sand spec said 0.425 on the bag I thought I would check the local pool stores sand supplies..I found one place that had sand that has .045 so I got those...The sales person said that the suppliers are changing the specs on the sand which is causing some issues with filters, not only intex but also hayward and others..Suppliers are cutting cost these days and the sand is not being screened as good as it once was thus allowing the smaller size particles to be placed into the bags thus the lower spec readings...2. Also noticed that when putting everything back together, the grid lays nice on the bottom but if you continue to push it down after its on the bottom you can feel it go down farther and actually bottom out on the base..Didnt notice that the first time I put it together..So now its up and running again,,,going out to vacume up the previous sand in the pool and see if this improves any :wave:

crookm11 said:
Let me add a little to this conversation. As you know I have this filter on my pool from the pictures above. I had the same issue with sand blowing in to the pool and I used the recommended size sand that Intex suggested and the sand particles are TOO SMALL for the plate on the bottom of the filter to keep the sand from blowing in to the pool. The slots on the plate are too big and under pressure the sand just blows thru. I went to Home Depot and bought the Pool sand by Pave Stone (I think). The sand particles is bigger than what is recommended but will not flow thru the slots on the bottom plate in the filter. From my research is that the size of the sand effects the filtering properties of the sand. I don't think the filter really cares what size of sand is in it. I have no sand blowing in to the pool and the water is sparkling clear and clean.

:cheers:

How much sand did you have blowing into your pool before you fixed your problem? I have to tell you, I'm not exaggerating when I say I can now probably describe what the sulphur dioxide geysers on Io look like when they go off (despite never having seen one) from just having watched my mother's new sand filter run twice for about 20 seconds total. :shock:

The guy at the pool supply company thinks my 6-way valve is defective. Based upon my conversation with him, I went ahead and called Intex to start a warranty return on the 6 way valve in lieu of returning the filter to the seller (I really need the working filter more than I need my money back right now). I may hold off a day on faxing the warranty claim and give it one final try if I can find another brand of sand, though.

I had wondered if layering the sand (i.e. a bag of bigger grain sand underneath on the grid with a bag of smaller grain sand on top for improved filtering) would make a difference, or would filtering, backwashing, and rinsing simply force the smaller sand grains down into the bottom of the filter casing?

jsf0656 said:
ace hardware is where i got mine. they have the #20 silica sand.

Thanks for the suggestion - I looked, and there is a single Ace Hardware store about 50 miles from me. I may call them tomorrow and see if they have any Aqua Quartz sand at their location. The way my luck is running, they won't have any, but we'll see.

drg said:
Also noticed that when putting everything back together, the grid lays nice on the bottom but if you continue to push it down after its on the bottom you can feel it go down farther and actually bottom out on the base..Didnt notice that the first time I put it together..

I really hope you have your problem knocked out. I'm thinking that grid probably bottoms out like this by design the first time you use the pump anyway (that little piece of plastic is holding up ~100 lbs sand plus the water, itself weighing 8lbs/gallon, while at the same time dealing with the extra downforce pressure created by the filtering water).

Hi,

New to the site here, and not trying to hijack your post or anything. I am having a similar problem, have had a lot of wildfires near me in southeast GA, and while gone for about a week, got an algae bloom. Got that cleared up, but while vacuuming out the debris, my cheapo paper cartridge/attached pump sidewall skimmer quit on me. I have ordered a 1600 gallon/hour intex (my sunshine) sand filter/pump from walmart.com, should be here tomorrow, based on seeing posts here saying that it can be attached via my current pump outlet (for now) or an adapter (later on). My question is, what size hoses come with the intex pumps, 1.5 inch, or 1.25, if I need to get an adapter pvc piece, I'd rather have it ready to go before I start! Thanks in advance for the help!

sumlaan said:
Hi,

New to the site here, and not trying to hijack your post or anything. I am having a similar problem, have had a lot of wildfires near me in southeast GA, and while gone for about a week, got an algae bloom. Got that cleared up, but while vacuuming out the debris, my cheapo paper cartridge/attached pump sidewall skimmer quit on me. I have ordered a 1600 gallon/hour intex (my sunshine) sand filter/pump from walmart.com, should be here tomorrow, based on seeing posts here saying that it can be attached via my current pump outlet (for now) or an adapter (later on). My question is, what size hoses come with the intex pumps, 1.5 inch, or 1.25, if I need to get an adapter pvc piece, I'd rather have it ready to go before I start! Thanks in advance for the help!

The filter should include a new set of hoses and several adapters which will allow it to attach to most pools.

Well, got the filter in, installed it, and wouldn't you know, the adapters supplied created some pretty massive air leaks. A trip to lowe's $26 later, just waiting on the PVC cement to cure, I'm pretty sure I'm ok now. Would be nice if I wasn't doing all the work in 95 degree heat with 100% humidity though!

Well, I finally found filter sand that works properly with the Intex sand filter grid. Thank goodness I won't have to go through this again for a few years (I have another 2 bags waiting to be picked up on my next trip over for future use).

Maybe there should be a sand thread started listing various brands that people find to work and not work in Intex sand filters which could be linked in the pinned Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners thread. It would be worth it if it saved even a few people from the problems that I had, anyway.....

HTH brand pool filter sand in #20 silica works great, no sand ended up in the pool at all. I had ordered the Aqua Quartz sand online at Ace Hardware for ship-to-store pickup at my "local" Ace Hardware (100 miles round trip). The HTH sand was what they sent - I decided to give it a try, and it worked well. The HTH bags do not show a particle size for the sand.

In a pinch, Quikrete pool filter sand #1153 will work in the filter if this is all you can get, but it is too coarse to filter as well as a proper sand media given its minimum particle size equals the maximum allowed under the Intex sand specs and the max particle size is 4 times the Intex maximum size. However, it did keep the pool pretty (but not crystal) clear for the week we had it in the filter. It definitely had a fair amount of plant/leaf matter on top of the sand when I changed it out this morning, so I know it was working. However, it was letting a lot more dust particles into the pool when I vacuumed which the HTH sand now seems to be catching.

Southern Filter Media #20 silica (a possibly local brand sold exclusively by almost every local pool supply outfit I checked with in my area) will absolutely NOT work. Put this stuff in your filter, and you'll be seeing sand showers into your pool for the 3-5 minutes it takes to empty the entire sand content of the filter into the bottom of your pool.

Reactions: C-Lo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fsteve65 said:
I have the Quikrete Pool Sand in mine and i don't think it really makes a difference my pool is crystal clear with it.

I thought this was going to work at first (like you said, it was filtering fairly well), at least until I tried to vacuum the pool through the filter. Between 1/2 to 2/3 of what I vacuumed went right through the filter and up ended up back in the pool, which is why I ended up taking the chance with the HTH sand.

It still doesn't catch everything, but it catches a lot more now than the Quikrete sand did.

EJohnson said:
Well, I finally found filter sand that works properly with the Intex sand filter grid. Thank goodness I won't have to go through this again for a few years (I have another 2 bags waiting to be picked up on my next trip over for future use).

Maybe there should be a sand thread started listing various brands that people find to work and not work in Intex sand filters which could be linked in the pinned Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners thread. It would be worth it if it saved even a few people from the problems that I had, anyway.....

HTH brand pool filter sand in #20 silica works great, no sand ended up in the pool at all. I had ordered the Aqua Quartz sand online at Ace Hardware for ship-to-store pickup at my "local" Ace Hardware (100 miles round trip). The HTH sand was what they sent - I decided to give it a try, and it worked well. The HTH bags do not show a particle size for the sand.

In a pinch, Quikrete pool filter sand #1153 will work in the filter if this is all you can get, but it is too coarse to filter as well as a proper sand media given its minimum particle size equals the maximum allowed under the Intex sand specs and the max particle size is 4 times the Intex maximum size. However, it did keep the pool pretty (but not crystal) clear for the week we had it in the filter. It definitely had a fair amount of plant/leaf matter on top of the sand when I changed it out this morning, so I know it was working. However, it was letting a lot more dust particles into the pool when I vacuumed which the HTH sand now seems to be catching.

Southern Filter Media #20 silica (a possibly local brand sold exclusively by almost every local pool supply outfit I checked with in my area) will absolutely NOT work. Put this stuff in your filter, and you'll be seeing sand showers into your pool for the 3-5 minutes it takes to empty the entire sand content of the filter into the bottom of your pool.

I would like to revisit this a little bit. Walmart has my Intex SWG and sand filter at the store now. I hadn't really looked for sand till now, and I'd like to get it right the first time rather than have to deal with sand in the pool should I put the wrong kind in.

Finding HTH brand on the shelf even though there are about 15 Ace Hardware franchises in the area proves to be difficult. I would prefer not to have to wait a week for the sand. I called a pool store, and they carry Target #20 silica sand, they've got a pallet of the stuff.

I've located the MSDS w/specs of the Target brand. If some kind person could take a look and let me know if it will work with the Intex sand filter it'd be very appreciated. http://www.targetproducts.com/UserConte ... atwlAB.pdf

Also, is one 50 pound bag enough?

Hi, I'm Lisa.
New pool owner. We bought a summer escapes pool from walmart. The pump is terrible. We can't keep the pool clean so we bought a crystal clear sand filter pump. It is suppose to fit on our pool. However it doesn't fit. I'm not sure how to make this work. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and knows how to fix? I'm desperate and really to pack up the pool. We haven't been able to use it all summer and I would like to come to a solution so that we can enjoy our new pool. HELP PLEASE!

frogabog said:
I've located the MSDS w/specs of the Target brand. If some kind person could take a look and let me know if it will work with the Intex sand filter it'd be very appreciated. http://www.targetproducts.com/UserConte ... atwlAB.pdf

Also, is one 50 pound bag enough?
50 lbs is just about right, won't fill to the maximum line, but it will be very close.

I just put in "Quikrete pool filter sand #1153" (mentioned above) last week into this filter on the neighbors pool and it has been working great with no sand going into the pool.

I am still struggling with the Target stuffs spec sheet, but it looks like it is a little larger.

I'm having a hard time locating the quickrete as well. Pools are NOT popular around here... It's a wonder the pool stores can stay in business. Spa and Hearth combination is popular amongst pool stores... at least they can stay in business all year this way I suppose.

Aphrodisa88 said:
Lisa
we bought a crystal clear sand filter pump. It is suppose to fit on our pool. However it doesn't fit. I'm not sure how to make this work. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and knows how to fix?

I don't have the same pool but I just put the intex sand filter on my older intex easyset. None of the adapters worked with this older pool, however I was able to enlarge the openings for the intake and return and used the 1.5" fittings. I had my daughter hold a bowl over the inside openings so I didn't lose all my water while I gently and carefully cut the larger openings. There was enough reinforcement to be able to do this with no problems. I actually had to cut twice as the first time wasn't large enough. I'm very happy with the filter. Now I'm looking at possibly a skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.