Intex sand filter - sand problems

Hi everyone. New to forum but not to the intex pool. I recently upgraded pools to the ultraframe 16x48 round. Stock pump worked ok but just didn't get the crystal clear water. So, I upgraded to 14" krystal clear 1600gph sand pump. I purchased the hth sand, backwashed, rinsed did everything you are supposed to, but have two issues. A little sand blows through and its enough to have to vaccuum daily. Secondly my timer hasn't worked. What the heck. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Sounds like you have a broken lateral letting sand through. With the bad timer I'd try to return it for a replacement. You can empty out and save the sand for the replacement. Be sure to fill the replacement half full of water before putting the sand in, it helps protect the laterals. If you can't replace it, you should be able to order the laterals from Intex. As to how to fix the timer I haven't a clue.

Re: Intex sand filter

After some troubleshooting, my pump seems to have stopped spitting sand and the water is crystal sparkeling clear. But this has me baffled. My pump lets little bits of organic matter into the pool, no sand anymore. This seems to be a daily process of vaccuuming little bits of organic matter that rest on pool bottom. After vaccuuming pool is immaculate. Backwash until water is clear in sediment window, rinse for a minute, everything clear, pool clean and skimmed, solar cover on, filter 6hrs, pool has bits of organic matter on bottom, often enough to need to vaccuum again. Why is this? Does anyone else have this?

Bama Rambler said:
Are you sure it's the pump letting the stuff back into the pool?
Take a sock or stocking and tie over the return and let the pump run. That should tell you if it's coming from the filter.

That is an interesting idea. I will try it. As for thinking it is the pump, it seems to be dirtier where the return projects and its definitely not sand. I've put the goggles on and scooped it up with the skimmer net. Its just organic type debris. Its gotten better since I've backwashed several times, but still happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.