Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First water test by pool store, need advice.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Clintwood Virginia

First water test by pool store, need advice.....

Here are my numbers, could someone help me out, I have the print out from the pool store, but dang it's A LOT of chemicals...... this print out says it should be used for BioGuard products only, but I don't know....

14,800 gallons, vinyl above ground

Temp 70
    Saturation index .4
    TDS 300
    CYA 0
    Total Chlorine 9
    Free Chlorine 9
    pH 8.4
    Tot Alk 35
    Adj total Alk 35
    Total hardness 271
    Optimizer + 11

2. Back To Top    #2
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: First water test by pool store, need advice.....

Welcome to TFP!

Based off of these numbers, you need to do is bring your PH down. Anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8. Any higher or lower could create a lot of problems for the pool and equipment. Next, bring your CYA up to about 30ppm to start off with. Your TA is a little low and needs to come up.

Pool stores have been known to be off on there testing so your current numbers may be off. Order a good test kit of your own. TFtestkits or the Taylor 2006 kit are the best out there. See the test kit link in my signature.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Pool store testing is awful!! That said, they are usually decent at pH so you need to get your pH down into the mid 7's today using muriatic acid. Do that, post the results and we'll help you get everything else right.

Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this a newly filled pool? If so, can you tell us what chemicals you have added so far? I am wondering about the reading for Optimizer, have you added that or is that a bogus number?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, TX

Time to go to Home Depot and get Muriatic Acid! Use to estimate the right amount. That said, get your own test kit and your accuracy will go way up!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!