Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Minimax NT heater won't ignite

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Minimax NT heater won't ignite

A few weeks ago we turned on our spa and heard a loud pop noise. We inspected the heater to find that the blower had "blown up." We replaced the blower but the heater will not ignite. We reset the system by turning off the power...still nothing. The display shows the SW Pressure and Thermostat are on, but the heater light does not come on. We do not smell gas, and the blower runs fine. The system then shows the E04 error code for ignition failure.

Any thoughts?
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Minimax NT heater won't ignite

Sounds like to pressure switch on the blower is not completing the ignition circuit. There should be a rubber tube somwere on the blower assembley leading to a pressure switch with two wires on it. You can test the switch by removing the wires and connecting them together and see if it will light. If the blower did indead blow up like you say, it could have damaged the diaphragm in the pressure swith. The pressure switch light on the display is for the water pressure switch letting you know you have enough flow through the heater.
    22,000 Gallon inground gunite
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair tr-100 sand filter
    Pentair Minimax NT 400,000 BTU heater
    AquaRite chlorine generator
    AquaPC-On Point chemical controller

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Any noise when it tries to fire?

I think Jeff has the right spin on this, but wanted to check.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for the advice. It worked!! We ran a jumper wire to bypass the pressure switch and the heater fired up. Thanks again for the advice. We will order a new pressure switch and be as good as new.
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Gardenfreek, how did you determine that your blower was blown. The same thing just happened to me. I think rainwater got inside the blower.