Cloudy water.

Jun 20, 2011
Hello,

I am new to maintaining pools and having some problem with such. I have a 16'x48'' circular Intex metal frame pool with a 1500gph cartridge filter pump and an Intex Krystal Clear SWG. I had the pool water tested at a pool supply store and they gave me these results:

FC 0.2
TC 0.2
CC 0.2
pH 7.4
CH 150
TA 100
CYA 50
Copper 0
Iron 0

The water is pretty cloudy, the chlorine levels won't go above 0.5 when the SWG is running 6 hrs a day and when I test my water I get about 190ppm of TA as apposed to the 100ppm that the pool store tested. I'm just wondering what the cause for the cloudy water could be.

Thanks for any help and let me know if there's any more info you need,

--Whitehat

Welcome to TFP!

You almost certainly have algae. You need to shock the pool, see How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School. That will mean adding chlorine manually, since the SWG can't raise the FC level quickly enough to be effective.

Wait until you have things back in balance, but in the long run you are going to want to raise CYA a bit. The recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80.

By the by, TC = FC + CC, so your test results can't be quite right. Either TC is 0.4, or CC is 0. It doesn't really matter here, since they are both very low.

20,000th post!

Lack of chlorine and the inadequate filter than comes with the Intex set ups.

When you say you get 190 TA, what are you testing with?

If your FC is .2 and your CC is .2 then your TC would be .4, FC which is too low for a CYA of 50.

The SWG can't keep up with whatever is consuming the chlorine. You need to use liquid chlorine to shock the pool - refer to the CYA chart for your shock level, then follow the instructions for how to shock the pool.

Shocking Your Pool

Jason was faster than me...and his 20,000 post no doubt!!! :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Thanks for your responses,

I read up on shocking the pool and have a few questions. I went to the cya chlorine shock chart and found that I need to shock it to 24 ppm and that to do that I would have to add over a gallon of bleach to the pool(figured using the pool calculator). Does that sound right? It sounds like alot. Also when you shock a pool do you NEED to perform the OCLT? And when I posted the results of the test I miss typed the cc is was actually 0.

Thanks,
--Whitehat

Ok, also I read on the 'Shock your pool' page that you add the bleach to bring the FC up to shock level then let it set for a while, retest and add chlorine to maintain the shock level until the water is clear. The test kit I have only tests the water up to 5 ppm for the chlorine, would I need a better test kit to test and maintain the shock level of FC.

Thanks again for all your help,
--Whitehat

Whitehat said:
Thanks for your responses,

I read up on shocking the pool and have a few questions. I went to the cya chlorine shock chart and found that I need to shock it to 24 ppm and that to do that I would have to add over a gallon of bleach to the pool(figured using the pool calculator). Does that sound right?

Thanks,
--Whitehat

Just had to throw it in there, I WISH I could shock my pool with a gallon a day! Mine eats that for lunch a day when the pool is clean ;)

Trust these guys, they will help you get your pool sparkly clean, and you'll know how to keep it there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.