Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water.

Hello,

I am new to maintaining pools and having some problem with such. I have a 16'x48'' circular Intex metal frame pool with a 1500gph cartridge filter pump and an Intex Krystal Clear SWG. I had the pool water tested at a pool supply store and they gave me these results:

FC 0.2
    TC 0.2
    CC 0.2
    pH 7.4
    CH 150
    TA 100
    CYA 50
    Copper 0
    Iron 0

The water is pretty cloudy, the chlorine levels won't go above 0.5 when the SWG is running 6 hrs a day and when I test my water I get about 190ppm of TA as apposed to the 100ppm that the pool store tested. I'm just wondering what the cause for the cloudy water could be.

Thanks for any help and let me know if there's any more info you need,

--Whitehat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water.

Welcome to TFP!

You almost certainly have algae. You need to shock the pool, see How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School. That will mean adding chlorine manually, since the SWG can't raise the FC level quickly enough to be effective.

Wait until you have things back in balance, but in the long run you are going to want to raise CYA a bit. The recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80.

By the by, TC = FC + CC, so your test results can't be quite right. Either TC is 0.4, or CC is 0. It doesn't really matter here, since they are both very low.

20,000th post!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Lack of chlorine and the inadequate filter than comes with the Intex set ups.

When you say you get 190 TA, what are you testing with?

If your FC is .2 and your CC is .2 then your TC would be .4, FC which is too low for a CYA of 50.

The SWG can't keep up with whatever is consuming the chlorine. You need to use liquid chlorine to shock the pool - refer to the CYA chart for your shock level, then follow the instructions for how to shock the pool.

Shocking Your Pool

Jason was faster than me...and his 20,000 post no doubt!!!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your responses,

I read up on shocking the pool and have a few questions. I went to the cya chlorine shock chart and found that I need to shock it to 24 ppm and that to do that I would have to add over a gallon of bleach to the pool(figured using the pool calculator). Does that sound right? It sounds like alot. Also when you shock a pool do you NEED to perform the OCLT? And when I posted the results of the test I miss typed the cc is was actually 0.

Thanks,
    --Whitehat

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I also get just over a gallon of 6% bleach.

NEED to perform the OCLT? No not really. But if you don't you need to maintain shock level longer to be sure you got everything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, also I read on the 'Shock your pool' page that you add the bleach to bring the FC up to shock level then let it set for a while, retest and add chlorine to maintain the shock level until the water is clear. The test kit I have only tests the water up to 5 ppm for the chlorine, would I need a better test kit to test and maintain the shock level of FC.

Thanks again for all your help,
    --Whitehat

7. Back To Top    #7

Cloudy water.

In a word, yes. You need a better test kit. I'd recommend heading over to www.tftestkits.net and getting the TF-100 kit. Adding the speedstir will make things much easier.

Good luck!
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehat
    Thanks for your responses,

I read up on shocking the pool and have a few questions. I went to the cya chlorine shock chart and found that I need to shock it to 24 ppm and that to do that I would have to add over a gallon of bleach to the pool(figured using the pool calculator). Does that sound right?

Thanks,
    --Whitehat
    Just had to throw it in there, I WISH I could shock my pool with a gallon a day! Mine eats that for lunch a day when the pool is clean

Trust these guys, they will help you get your pool sparkly clean, and you'll know how to keep it there!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Everyone here got mine in perfect shape!
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.