Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap ways to shade pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap ways to shade pool

Ok well my intex 24' pool is in constant sunlight all day and was wondering if anyone had any relativly inexpensive ways to shade it. I was thinking some 4x4's and those kinda mesh tarps they use on dog kennels to give some shade but also let water through. Any ideas would be appreciated becasue the constant sun is making i hard to keep the water clear.
    17,000 gal, IG, dark plaster, salt water
    All Jandy: 1.5hp pump, CL-460 Cartridge filters, Aquapure chlorine generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap ways to shade pool

I don't think sunshine is causing your "not clear" water problem. Consider increasing pump run time with this heat if you're sure you have no other issues.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CYA (stabilizer) level? And what ppm FC do you maintain? You may need to adjust your targets and chemicals balance.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

my pump runs 24/7 its a 400 gph pump... my cya is at 80 and I try to keep 5 ppm fc but it is fine in the morning but by the afternoon it is gone. It stays steady overnight also.

5. Back To Top    #5

At a CYA of 80--your minimum FC number is 6. The chart also says your Target level is 9. My pool is in full sun all day and I have to add 2ppm MORE than the chart says for a target level to keep my minimum in tact. I lose on average 4ppm per day when the heat is turned on in Texas.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Isnt the smallest Intex pump 1000 gph? I could be wrong, and very much welcome correction since I am considering getting the Intex skimmer which requires 800gph.

Still, 400 gph seems extremely low.

7. Back To Top    #7

there is a 4000 gph which is what I have I forgot the last zero. Thanks for the info guys I'm going to give those suggestions a try and see how it works