Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC36 / ESC8000
Evening all !!!
New guy to the forum and trying to find THE solution to my problem.
Cloudy water has for over 3 weeks now. Replace cartridge, shocked the **** outta it and 24/7 pump running.
Chem as follows...
TA 105
pH 7.5
CYA 40
Hardness 90
TC 3
FC 3
salt 3500
Per Unicel instructions, even put 8 oz. dry weight of "synthetic DE" in skimmer. Little to no pressure change. Can see the drain (6 ft). Really lost here. Fourth year on this pool and first time with any problem that I haven't been able to correct/fix.
My sincere appreciation to anyone who can figure this out!
Thanks in advance!!!
Samiguy

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is make sure there isn't anything alive in the water. Do you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test (powder turns the sample pink and drops then eventually turn it clear again)? If so, do an overnight FC loss test to make sure you really have killed all of the algae. If there is still algae, no amount of filtering is going to help.

The second step, once everything is dead, is to make sure the filter is working correctly. The filter pressure should be going up slowly. If it isn't there are several things to check. You might start with opening up the filter and making sure it is actually catching something. The most obvious possibility would be a torn cartridge, but if I read correctly, you just replaced the cartridge?

Additional Info.............
Seems as if I'm on the right track.
I did replace the cartridge (was only a year old) because it was doing the same thing as the new one did. No pressure increase and nothing caught when cleaning. Another note, my tigershark filters are new also and are NOT catch anything either. It is as if "something" or "everything" is getting thru the filter(s) and continues the circuit. I would say that I only know the I have shocked to the extent that I blow the OTO test off the chart and hold it there for 24 hours by blasting with 3 gallons of 6% bleach and going 100% on my SWG. It appears that I need a better test as suggested. As I am trying to keep my KISS method in place, your continued help and suggestions are very much appreciated!!! Anything else I can check and/or do by your experience is again sincerely appreciated!!

Your OTO test only shows you Total Chlorine. You need to be able to test for Free Chlorine.

A dirty filter tends to filter better than new (thus the manufacturer's suggestion of adding some DE-not all recommend that BTW). The tigershark filters really won't help you here.

Once you have an FAS-DPD test for Free Chlorine and follow the instructions on How to Shock Your Pool to the letter, you will have a clear pool.

BTW, gauges on cartridge filters tend not to change. That's been the case with mine anyway, only changes when a valve position is changed or I switch to high speed. My gauge never tells me when the filter is dirty.

Looks like I'm still on track and need only the FAS-DPD test kit to properly shock my pool. Will continue to use my local pool shop for CYA, TA, SALT for testing as that is where I will get my "extra" chemical and help justify using their test solutions. Still a bit concerned about getting the find stuff (brown particles) off the bottom as the tigershark just seems to stir them up. Maybe that's the ideat to keep the water moving and let the cartridge do it's thing. Am I on the right track? If so, will order just the FAS-DPD kit to shock properly. Your continued support and experience is appreciated!!
Samiguy

The only problem with relying on the pool store for the testing is that they're notoriously wrong especially on CYA. You'd be way ahead to order the full kit and learn to do your own testing. You can still buy your stuff from the pool store if you'd like. :)

The best way to get the dust off the floor is to use a manual vacuum and go slowly.

Bama Rambler said:
The only problem with relying on the pool store for the testing is that they're notoriously wrong especially on CYA. You'd be way ahead to order the full kit and learn to do your own testing. You can still buy your stuff from the pool store if you'd like. :)

The best way to get the dust off the floor is to use a manual vacuum and go slowly.
I amen that one...Tried to trust the pool store&if I had done what they told me it would be a mess..Someone on the site stopped me from making any more add's..I never will make a step into another store..I order off the internet if I need anything.Your go to the local wallyworld..lol

Update...
Well you guys were dead right!!! Got the clorine up and held it there and WOW!! You could almost watch it clear up!! Now get this...two different pool shops tested CYA for me and the results were 40 and 7 on the same water!!. I trusted the 7 as it was Lamotte and did add some CYA. I know that you guys are not much on pool shops, but it really works a bit better for me to let a shop so the major testing. I don't feel as if they are just trying to load me up with "stuff". I sincerely appreciate the help and hope that I can somehow return the favors!! Thanks again!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
????if the pool store told you to jump,would you???lol..Two different reading& you take the one & add..UMMMMM Now do you really know wich one is right???you don't & you will never until you start testing your own water& see what you have..GOOD LUCK !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.