Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little ants going under bottom rail.

1. Back To Top    #1

Little ants going under bottom rail.

So, in 4 days time, I have ants digging under the bottom rail of the new pool install. It is just those really little ants, but it looks like they moved a little bit of the sand from under the liner, to the outside of the pool wall. Any suggestions on how to keep the away from the pool? You never realize how many ants you have in your yard, until you dig half of it up to build a retaining wall, drainage, and pool. (This is an AGP)

I know I can't kill them all, or I would, but I would like to keep them away from the pool wall. I don't feel like having them dig tunnels throughout my sand bottom
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little ants going under bottom rail.

Try sprinkling DE (diatomacious earth) around the bottom rail (*as long as no kids nor pets will get into it) and you might just kill them all.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Try sprinkling DE (diatomacious earth) around the bottom rail (*as long as no kids nor pets will get into it) and you might just kill them all.
    +1

DE will get on them and leach the moisture from their little ant bodies, thereby killing them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Boric acid also works. They take it back to their queen because they think it's food. Kills em dead. 20/20 MuleTteam works just fine. Pour it on their little hills, they will haul it underground and die. They like it. muuuhahahahahaaaaa
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.