New Pool - Diamond Brite Plaster Question

dustd

Feb 24, 2011
Hi,
New to site and new to owning a pool. I wish I would have found this site earlier. What a great resource. I have a new 40X20, diamond brite (bahama breeze color mix) applied on Tuesday. I wasn't there unfortunately but I understand (hope) they did an acid wash after the plaster. It took two days to fill up the pool, we started the equipment and my PB added around 12 gallons of Acid for a Wet Acidwash. I think he added some "Purple Stuff" also. I have been brushing this pool at least 3 times a day since Thursday - in the 103 degree Dallas weather :) -The filter pump has been running non-stop since Thursday. It's a 2HP Jandy Variable stealth pump. I'm only seeing dirt getting moved around when brushing but am starting to notice white blotches on the pool bottom. I've been seeing them early on and brush them extra hard. They aren't going away - it's not terrible but I notice them. My PB just told me that the owner of the company that did the diamond brite recommends I use a wire brush lightly if necessary. I'm afraid to do that though. Could that be ok? He also told me the PH should start rising by Sunday Monday as it counters with the dust from the plaster but it's still testing as yellow as the day he put all the acid in the pool. Does this sound like a proper sequence of steps? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

That all sounds fairly normal.

A wire brush is not normally used until the plaster is one year old. In this situation it is possible to expose some of the quartz by judicious use of a wire brush. Personally, I would be worried about damaging the plaster.

By now I would expect there to be a couple of trichlor tablets in the skimmer.

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel better. There were a couple of tablets in both skimmers. I forgot about that. I may hold off in the wire brush and just continue to brush really firm with the nylon in those areas. The PB thought the PH would be around 7.0 or so by now (and told us we could start swimming), but when I tested and had another person test, it's still as yellow and low (5.0) as they day they poured in the acid. I think my PB is planning to come back in a couple days to fix the balance. It's so hard to keep an 8 year old out of a brand new pool with temperatures above 100. It's like a big piece of candy laying on the table that you can't eat!

I am a week away from filling my pool but have not finalized a color. One of the colors I am considering is also bahama breeze. Could you please post some pics. I am in frisco. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.