not sure what to buy

Jun 20, 2011
Hey all!

Have a small 19 x 10 semi-above ground pool (5000 gal). I'd like to add a SWG, but I'm not sure what to buy. Does it matter who manufactures the pool? The pool came with the house, and I'm not sure of the manufacturer. The pool is in sunlight from sunrise until about 6pm. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

No, the manufacturer of the pool does not really matter.

Adding a SWG isn't very difficult. There are several to choose from. The Intex SWG is a very affordable, if somewhat basic, unit. CompuPool and AquaTrol are also worth looking at.

As a general rule you don't want a SWG designed for a pool much larger than three times the actual size of the pool you have. Going a little over that isn't a problem, just not too far. That should be relatively easy to do, as there are several units in the 12-16k size range.

Aqua Trol looks like a great unit. My next question is one of logistics. When disconnecting the hose from the filter to return jet, will I be flooding myself in the process? Is it ok to have the pump off and to disconnect the hose in order to install this thing?

If you don't take precautions there will indeed be a flood. You want to block the skimmer and return ports on the inside of the pool before disconnecting any of the hoses. The skimmer is easy to block, a tennis ball usually works well. Blocking the return is a little more work, but can usually be figured out with a little creativity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ended up using a plastic dinner plate to block the return jet and it held itself in place. when I tried to hook the controller up last night to at least run the pump timer, I got no power to the unit. the GFCI was fine, and so was the circuit breaker. i took apart the control panel to find that none of the PCB's were connected. all the wires were just hanging loose. i ended up hooking the PCB's together hoping i was correct with the wiring. tested the timer and it worked. so, this morning was the day i decided to hook up the cell. after a trip to home depot to concoct some adapters for the fitting, we were in business. hooked up the cell and flow meter thing to the control panel and crossed my fingers. waited a minute for "no flow" to stop blinking and was happy as all heck when all i saw was "power" and "generating" :cheers:

going to let it run for 24 hours and test my chemicals again. after about 10 minutes the display changed from 2800ppm to 3000 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.