Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: not sure what to buy

1. Back To Top    #1

not sure what to buy

Hey all!

Have a small 19 x 10 semi-above ground pool (5000 gal). I'd like to add a SWG, but I'm not sure what to buy. Does it matter who manufactures the pool? The pool came with the house, and I'm not sure of the manufacturer. The pool is in sunlight from sunrise until about 6pm. Thanks in advance!
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: not sure what to buy

Welcome to TFP!

No, the manufacturer of the pool does not really matter.

Adding a SWG isn't very difficult. There are several to choose from. The Intex SWG is a very affordable, if somewhat basic, unit. CompuPool and AquaTrol are also worth looking at.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply, Jason! Does size matter for a pool this small?
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

As a general rule you don't want a SWG designed for a pool much larger than three times the actual size of the pool you have. Going a little over that isn't a problem, just not too far. That should be relatively easy to do, as there are several units in the 12-16k size range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Aqua Trol looks like a great unit. My next question is one of logistics. When disconnecting the hose from the filter to return jet, will I be flooding myself in the process? Is it ok to have the pump off and to disconnect the hose in order to install this thing?
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

If you don't take precautions there will indeed be a flood. You want to block the skimmer and return ports on the inside of the pool before disconnecting any of the hoses. The skimmer is easy to block, a tennis ball usually works well. Blocking the return is a little more work, but can usually be figured out with a little creativity.

7. Back To Top    #7

not sure what to buy

What would you suggest for blocking that eyeball type return jet?
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mathematics
    What would you suggest for blocking that eyeball type return jet?
    A plastic shopping bag usually works well enough for me if it's a quick job and in your case it is. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes really.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

not sure what to buy

Pretty clever. Thank you =)
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

these work great also and handy to have around just in case ...

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Winterizin ... B002XKJ240
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

11. Back To Top    #11

You could also get those rubber quick fix thingy's for engine block freeze plugs at the auto parts store.

Cheap and readily available!
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

12. Back To Top    #12

ended up using a plastic dinner plate to block the return jet and it held itself in place. when I tried to hook the controller up last night to at least run the pump timer, I got no power to the unit. the GFCI was fine, and so was the circuit breaker. i took apart the control panel to find that none of the PCB's were connected. all the wires were just hanging loose. i ended up hooking the PCB's together hoping i was correct with the wiring. tested the timer and it worked. so, this morning was the day i decided to hook up the cell. after a trip to home depot to concoct some adapters for the fitting, we were in business. hooked up the cell and flow meter thing to the control panel and crossed my fingers. waited a minute for "no flow" to stop blinking and was happy as all **** when all i saw was "power" and "generating"

going to let it run for 24 hours and test my chemicals again. after about 10 minutes the display changed from 2800ppm to 3000 ppm.
    5,000 Gal
    Cartridge filter
    Semi-AG
    AquaTrol-HP SWCG
    1 HP Pump