Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT help needed...

1. Back To Top    #1

URGENT help needed...

so got my pool set up and, the good news is it is perfectly level I was quite happy with that outcome..

the bad news... my intex salt water chlorinator died on me, I added the recommended amount of salt, ran the filter for 24 hours I went to turn the intex saltwater converter on and got "code 90" checked the flow valve and it was fine. Then checked the connection (receptacle that connects to the flow valve) and one of the prongs is broken.

I called around the find a replacement unit, and all places I called are sold out.

I am not sure what to do at this point, one place told me they will have some this Thursday.

Please HELP... I am currently running the filter, but I have no chlorine generator... I am at a loss...

Thanks in advance....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: URGENT help needed...

Generate your own chlorine and pour some plain old bleach in there till you can get a replacement.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Go buy some liquid chlorine or clorox and manually dose the pool untill you can get your swg part in and fixed...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the reply

how much bleach? The pool is 18' x 48"

Cheers

5. Back To Top    #5

Get your estimated gallons from poolcalculator.com

Get a set of test numbers, and plug them into the same website. Bring chlorine into range using the amount of bleach recommended by the calculator.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

How much chlorine you need to add depends on your current FC and CYA levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

As Jason mentioned, your CYA will tell us how much FC is good for your pool. See the link below for a chart that lists these values...

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. My wife made some calls and walmart had one unit left. Phew!!!!! Which is funny because i called before my wife got home and they told me they were sold out... must be my approach

I figured I would replace the whole unit with a new one, instead of getting parts, which would take weeks to get here anyway...

I do have one more question. I checked my salt levels, and they are currently sitting at 2600 ppm a little below the 3000 - 3200 ppm recommended. I added additional salt.

Would I need to wait another 24 hours before turning on the salt chlorinator? I know if I run it now i will probably get the low salt code.

Cheers

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, it is best to wait 24 hours after adding salt before turning on the SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks

will update tomorrow...

Cheers

11. Back To Top    #11

ran tests this morning.

salt level is now 3100 to 3200 ppm
    FC - 0.2 ppm
    TA - 120 - 140 ppm
    Ph - 8

unfortunately we have liquid rock coming out of our taps.

hopefully I can run the salt chlorinator this evening, we are expecting rain

Cheers

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

nemo,

I know you didn't ask but.....

Your pH is too high...lower it with muriatic acid.

Get some FC (don't count on the SWG, put in some bleach) in your pool today.....you do not have adequate sanitation

Do you have any CYA in the pool? How much?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

You should lower your pH to about 7.4 ASAP.

What is the CYA level? Your pool needs bleach/liquid chlorine now before you get the SWG running.

ETA: Dave beat me to it
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

So after scrambling around this morning getting my 6 year old ready for school, I managed to grab a bottle of pool water, and brought it to the pool place to have them test it..

here are the readings...

FC - 0.8
    Ph - 7.8
    Alkalinity - 187ppm
    CYA - 10 ppm
    Salt- 3800ppm

this is what they recommended

Add - 898 g of stablizer
    Add - 3.3 l of muriatic acid or 4 kg of PH minus

this is what the pool calculator recommended

for FC - Add - 28 oz of 6% bleach
    for pH - Add - 27 oz of muriatic acid
    for CYA - Add 24 oz of stablizer

little confused here....

that being said, I will put some muriatic acid in when I get home from work, as well as stablizer..

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm not really clear on what you are confused about. You need to lower PH, raise CYA, and add more chlorine. The quantities are a little different between the Pool Calculator and the pool store, but not dramatically different.

16. Back To Top    #16

The quantities are a little different, thats where I am a little confused. Which quantities do I use....

Cheers

17. Back To Top    #17

Use the quantities that the Pool Calc suggests. You can also change the PC to read in Metric if you'd like. Top right of the calculator is a pull down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

thanks for all the help

I went and purchased muriatic acid as well as stabilizer and will dose tonight, I am also adding bleach to bring my FC up to recommeded levels.

Cheers

19. Back To Top    #19

You really ought to get your own test kit. It will save you trips to the Pool Store for testing, where they will tempt you with phosphate removers, clarifiers, and whatever else they think you'll buy. With your high TA and a SWG, expect to see pH rising a lot. Wouldn't you like to be able to check it whenever you want and deal with it promptly?

You're also going to need a good chlorine test to get your SWG dialed-in. The FAS-DPD test used in the TF100 and the K-2006 will measure to .2 ppm increments all the way up to 50 ppm! I urge you to buy one ASAP. You can thank me in a month when the compliments start rolling in about how fabulously clear your pool is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    You really ought to get your own test kit. It will save you trips to the Pool Store for testing, where they will tempt you with phosphate removers, clarifiers, and whatever else they think you'll buy. With your high TA and a SWG, expect to see pH rising a lot. Wouldn't you like to be able to check it whenever you want and deal with it promptly?

You're also going to need a good chlorine test to get your SWG dialed-in. The FAS-DPD test used in the TF100 and the K-2006 will measure to .2 ppm increments all the way up to 50 ppm! I urge you to buy one ASAP. You can thank me in a month when the compliments start rolling in about how fabulously clear your pool is.
    I do have a test kit... but apparently it's not good enough, what I use is the test strips. I have been to several pool places and not one of them sells test kits like the ones recommended on here, they just have the test stripes, which I have found out are not very accruate.

The pool place I go to is just around the corner from where i work, actually there are 2 pool places within walking distance from where I work, one just wants me to buy all these chemicals and the other which I go to seems very honest. So i just walk over with my pool water and they test it.

This place came highly recommended to me by my neighbors who told me that they have never used a test kit in the 5 years of owning their pool. I thought it was a bit strange when they told me.

I appreciate the advice and I will most likely get a proper test kit.

I have to give credit the this pool place as the lady told me (whispered to me actually) to use bleach as opposed buying something off thier shelf.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast