outdoor refriderator

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I'd like to have a fridge outside so we can have drinks, cheese for burgers etc. on hand. We would probably bring it inside once we close up the pool and put it out in the spring when we open. Anyone have any suggestions on a small fridge? Looks like prices range from $350 to 3,000.

A small stainless steel unit would probably do best. It doesn't make a lot of difference in the brand until you get into the high end units but unless I was going to get an outdoor rated unit I'd go with the cheapest stainless unit I could find.

We have a small 4.3 cub ft GE stainless steel fridge and it seems to work great. I think it is about $200 at Best Buy.

I have a small (not the smallest but next size up) dorm size fridge under the bar outside which is on the shady side of the house, works out great!

I keep food, adult beverages and condiments in there for easy access while grilling.

Bama Rambler said:
A small stainless steel unit would probably do best. It doesn't make a lot of difference in the brand until you get into the high end units but unless I was going to get an outdoor rated unit I'd go with the cheapest stainless unit I could find.

x2 - get the least expensive one you can find, and replace as needed. I'm going on 4 years with my <$100 home depot SS fridge... I'm so happy I decided not to buy an outdoor rated one. Looks perfect still, and if it falls apart, who cares - I;ll just replace it.

My outdoor refrigerator is a Danby DAR482BLS 4.4 Cu ft model with a stainless steel finish. It's more of a small office fridge but it is rated for outdoor use. It does not freeze ice cubes but keeps drinks cold and food in the safe zone under 40°F.

Best of all it was about US$250 brand new and looks professional.

My neighbors are suitably impressed yet have no idea how little I spent. (Good thing they're not on this forum!)

So, I don't really "need" one that is rated for outside use? I'm not sure if I could get it in the shade or not, I may put a bar in eventually and could keep it under cover there but for now it may just go on the deck so it could get rained on, would this be safe if it is not rated for outdoor use?

melissab said:
So, I don't really "need" one that is rated for outside use? I'm not sure if I could get it in the shade or not, I may put a bar in eventually and could keep it under cover there but for now it may just go on the deck so it could get rained on, would this be safe if it is not rated for outdoor use?

Ignore my advice, then. I keep mine outside, but in a covered patio, under a bar counter. It is subject to more temperature and humidity extremes than in indoor unit would be, but certainly isn't directly exposed to the elements.

Hopefully others have different experiences to share...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.