Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this valve?

While I think I've pretty well figured out our pool plumbing, I just discovered an in-line ball valve in our deck that I believe must be part of the suction side of the plumbing for our pool. I have no idea what this valve is for. On the suction side, there are three suction lines at the equipment pad... skimmer, spa drain, and cleaner line. There are two Jandy 3-way valves, one of these is to control pool vs. spa suction (that connects to the inlet of he pump), and on the main pool side of that is a second 3-way valve that balances the suction from the skimmer vs. the cleaner line. However, I can't figure out the purpose of the deck 2-way (inline) valve.

Any guesses?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this valve?

Is the pool old enough to have been renovated before? One possibility is that it relates to something that no longer exists. One approach is to change the position of the valve and see if anything happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason:

Interesting thought. I'm not entirely certain if the pool was renovated or newly built. My guess, based on its appearance and the equipment is that it was probably renovated about ten years ago (we purchased it two years ago). You might be right about the valve being from the original build, but it's PVC, not brass or copper, so I'm not sure. I'll try it out and see what it does.

Thanks!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

4. Back To Top    #4

Could it be a valve to control the flow to the waterfall???
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm, interesting thought. The waterfall runs off a separate pump and I've never figured out where it gets its water from. It has a separate pipe coming up from the ground as well, so it doesn't look like its connected into the pool suction line. It could indeed be involved in that function. I'll have to check that out! The waterfall itself uses similar in line ball valves to control flow to various parts of the rocks that make up this water feature. Thanks for that because I probably wouldn't thought of that!

6. Back To Top    #6

This
    [youtube:23mp6upy]zx_25ernC2c[/youtube:23mp6upy]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard:

Of course, I never would have thought of that! Some evil pool builder put that there just to temp us unknowing pool tweakers!