Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy on the forums

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy on the forums

Hi everyone,

I've been reading TFP for a few weeks now but I just decided to register. Thanks for the wealth of information here! I just bought a house with a pool and this site really helped me out a lot in the last 3 weeks of trying to figure everything out.

Edit: I wanted to add that I live in Magnolia, TX. My pool is a 17,000 gallon vollyball pool with spa. Pentair cartridge filter and I think Leslie's Pool Supply is trying to ruin my pool :/

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New guy on the forums

Welcome to TFP.

Keep reading and learning and Leslies won't be runing your pool!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello... Glad you found this site, the people here are great. Take your time looking through pool school and the forums and when you have questions ask.

Congrats on your new pool!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

Congratulations on your new pool!

You can add your location and pool/equipment specs in your profile/sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you don't want Leslie's to ruin your pool take control now!!
    The best way to do that is to get your own good test kit (see the links in my signature).
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome friend, neighbor, and fellow newbie. I've pored over hours worth of text here and have built up my confidence and skills and my pool is sparkling clear and my wallet full. ^_^

I hope you will do the same.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

8. Back To Top    #8
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you really want to do it right from the start, you need this:

Spare yourself the reading, just head straight over to and order a TF100 and a speedstir. I recommend the XL option as well, because if you're like the rest of us, you will become obsessive with the testing for the first month at least, and burn through a whole lot of test reagents.

Plus you'll be able to answer correctly when we give you the TFP mantra,
    "Can you post a full set of test results?"
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!