Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding

1. Back To Top    #1

For bonding purposes, I have the #8 bare copper going around the pool attached to every 3rd post then attached to the lug on the pump motor, where do I go from there? My research resulted in conflicting results. My certified electrician/neighbor told me to then go into the twist lock receptacle box and then attach to the grounds in the box-is this correct? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Bonding

Welcome to TFP!

The bonding wire does not need to be connected to electrical ground in the US, though they do require that in Canada. It does need to be connected to anything with a noticeable amount of metal in it that is within 3 feet of the water. If you have metal ladders, they need to be bonded, the same with a heater, and so on. Assuming your pool is simple and has plastic ladders, you are probably done with bonding.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. If I already mounted the box for the twist lock receptacle and knocked out the hole and ran conduit into the box in anticiption of connecting the bond wire, would this be in violation of NEC code? i.e., can I keep the bond wire conected to the grounds?

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

2011 NEC 680.26 says it's not required to be connected but it doesn't specifically prohibit it being connected.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit