Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Managing CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Managing CYA

Hopefully this is on the right board.
    I've had my pool up for a couple weeks now, BBB is working great. With regards to CYA levels, I've read that rainfall and heavy swimming loads will drop the CYA levels, so just wondering if someone can point me in the direction to help manage this level without retesting all the time. The CYA test in the Taylor kit uses a lot of the agent.

Just wondering if there is a general rule like "after a heavy rain add 1 cup" or something like that.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Managing CYA

If you raise CYA to the high end of the normal range, it should stay in range through the entire swim season, unless there is way more rain than normal or something else that causes massive water replacement. You lose CYA slowly though splash out and backwashing, and if it rains enough to cause water to overflow, but that is normally only enough to lower CYA very slowly. Typically you only need to test two or three times per season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Managing CYA

Thanks
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list