My first pool

We just bought our first house and it came with a pool. Our pool has been open a couple of weeks now and I just finished a 3 day shock session to clear out an algae overgrowth. The pool is no longer green but it is still cloudy. I have a chlorine and pH test kit that came with the pool. The pH is 7.4, which is supposed to be ideal and the chlorine is at 2.5. I brushed the pool daily throughout the shocking and continued to do so once the green was gone. I have been trying to vacuum it but my hose won't stay on the vacuum for more than 1/3 of the pool at a time. I just want to be able to swim in my pool.

Welcome to TFP!

How has the filter pressure been behaving, and have you needed to backwash the filter during this process? Also can you describe the water a little more, for example what color is the water?

Posting a full set of water test results would help a great deal. Ideally you should have your own test kit, but a full set of results from a pool store will do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blue cloudy doesn't meet the criteria for completing the shock process, but I'd say it is nit-picky. If you didn't measure your overnight chlorine loss, you don't have a way to know if your shocking is complete. I noticed you said you were picking up a test kit, so I am making the assumption you didn't perform an OCLT. I would hate for you to get this far and not complete the process, and end up having a chlorine-eating monster on your hand.

Seems like there's more time, chlorine, and energy wasted in not using the above three rules for shocking than there ever would be if they were followed.

So... no, not so nit-picky when you consider the added misery that missing the shock boat lands you with.

OP is also getting a 6-way kit. The most prevalent one of those is the HTH kit which does not test for CC and as such, rather useless when there's an algae issue. The only reason it's called 6-way is because it also tests for bromine. There's your 6th way. It's actually a 5-way kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.