Higher iron/metals content? Update: Pics post MM

May 5, 2009
NC
Can well water suddenly develop a higher than usual amount of iron or other metals? We filled our pool from our well in 2009 and have always topped it off from our well and never had a problem. Just wondering if it's possible for it to change? Thanks.

Re: Higher iron/metals content?

Some folks have reported some fluctuation in the mineral content of their wells, but not any big swings that I am aware of. Is this a general "should I watch for this" question or is this "I think I have metals in the pool and I don't know where they came from" type question?

The latter. I have been shocking my pool for 3+ weeks now and it was truly a swamp. My FC finally held overnight and CC's are 0, so I'm wondering if it's not clearing because of metals. The water is translucent, just has a tint to it. I have a thread in Pool Start-ups and Closings that's been going since day 1, but I was just wondering speciffically about the metals, so I posted this here. I have had a few responses on there that said it could be metals, so that's why I was questioning it. Thanks.

Just looked up the ProTeam website to find Metal Magic near me.....called the pool store to confirm they carry it and have it in stock before driving all that way, never been to this one before. I'm going to have them test for metals while I'm there. They said it could be mustard algae and if it is I have to buy something specific to treat it???? Doesn't shocking do that as long as you do it for mustard algae?

Anything else I need or just the Metal Magic.....The ProTeam site says something about adding Dry Clarifier also, is that needed?

Thanks.

* Edit: What is the max level for metals before treatment is needed, just so I know? Thanks.

Metal levels up to about 0.3 ppm are alright, especially with a vinyl liner (fiberglass is more sensitive to metals).

Mustard algae can color the water when the FC level is low, but it goes away quickly once you are at shock level. The treatment for mustard algae is chlorine, which I assume you already have. Though really, you don't have any of the symptoms of mustard algae.

Metal Magic alone is sufficient, though some clarifier might help. Once you add the Metal Magic there is some chance the water will cloud up. Clarifier might help with the cloudiness, but it is very hit or miss. Sometimes it helps a lot, usually it does nothing. The cloudiness, if it occurs, will go away even without clarifier, clarifier would just help it go away more quickly (if it works).

Re: Higher iron/metals content? Update: Test Results

Pool store said no copper or iron. So, what now? They said they would wait a few more days before doing the sequestrant, just so I wouldn't be wasting money on something I didn't need. Could their tests be wrong? I told them only to run the metal tests, but they did the complete workup. They told me my CH was too high and my TA was too low, but other than that they said everything was good. They did not try to sell me anything.

Pool Store:
FC 10
TC 10
pH 7.5
TA 95
CH 225
CYA 40
Total Diss. Solids 400 ????

My Results: (1 1/2 hrs later before adding more bleach)
FC 13
CC 0
TC 13
pH 7.8
TA 130
CH 70
CYA 30 (I did raise to 40 last Tuesday night, not sure why it doesn't read. I think I remember reading it can be off by 10 or so?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It is very common for pool store metal test results to be wrong. Also, when the water is colored the metal is mostly in microscopic crystals, not dissolved in the water, so they don't tend to show up on the test.

I'm quite confident that adding sequestrant will remove the color. It is also quite possible that the color will go away if you let the FC level come back down to normal and lower the PH just a little.

The CYA test is basically +-15, so your results essentially agree with the pool store results. They can probably only test FC up to 10, so ignore that difference in results. PH and TA are both off a little, but not by a surprising amount. The only result that is surprisingly different is the CH level, which is very very different. However, CH is not required for an above ground pool, and both of those numbers are low enough to eliminate any risk of calcium scaling, so it hardly matters what the CH level actually is.

The pool store said I will have to let FC drop to 2ppm to use the sequestrant. Is it really ok to let it get that low and if so how long do I leave it that way? Thanks.

I just had a thought and it may be stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway. We had storm damage to our house back in April that tore up our roof. Rover brought up a piece of shingle about 2 weeks ago. Several times it has also brought up the little granules from the shingles. They are Architect shingles, don't know if that makes any difference? Could that possibly have something to do with the metal content, seeing that we've never had an issue before now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.