To keep or remove sprinkler system - pre construction

May 13, 2009
Mn
I totally forgot about our sprinkler system. We were originally going to have an oval pool so the sprinklers were laid out around the oval. Now that had to switch to oval, we have one sprinkler head that is almost in the middle of the pool.

Should I pull it out before the installers get here, put some crushed rock in the hole and let it settle for the week (we are supposed to get rain the next few days) or do I leave it alone and hope we can cut the top of it off a little. They are going to have to dig down a little in that are which is going to cause the head to stick up if we left it.

Then if I do pull it out, do I pull just the head and leave the pipe? or will the weight of the pool crush the pipe and cause more problems? I'm thinking it would be best just to leave the pipe as it is small and buried in the ground about a foot.

I once had new asphalt put on my circle drive. They put part of it over one of the irrigation sprinklers. The first time the system came on the sprinkler popped up right through the paving. I don't think you want one popping up in the middle of the pool. I would remove it and plug or mend the line as needed.

Sprinklers are meant to change as your landscape changes. I just finished something similar.

Just finished laying a paver patio next to the pool deck. I had three heads along that edge, and they would be covered up by pavers. I figured that if I simply capped the pipe, I would no doubt have a leak somewhere in the future, and saw myself digging up pavers to deal with it. I still had useful heads on that zone, so it made sense. If I was completely abandoning a zone, then I would have just disconnected it, therefore no water pressure.

Cut back as far as you can until you're out of range of the pool, then cap there, if possible. That way, you can re-route the sprinkler for another use, and then you can eliminate future damage to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.