Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To keep or remove sprinkler system - pre construction

1. Back To Top    #1

To keep or remove sprinkler system - pre construction

I totally forgot about our sprinkler system. We were originally going to have an oval pool so the sprinklers were laid out around the oval. Now that had to switch to oval, we have one sprinkler head that is almost in the middle of the pool.

Should I pull it out before the installers get here, put some crushed rock in the hole and let it settle for the week (we are supposed to get rain the next few days) or do I leave it alone and hope we can cut the top of it off a little. They are going to have to dig down a little in that are which is going to cause the head to stick up if we left it.

Then if I do pull it out, do I pull just the head and leave the pipe? or will the weight of the pool crush the pipe and cause more problems? I'm thinking it would be best just to leave the pipe as it is small and buried in the ground about a foot.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: To keep or remove sprinkler system - pre construction

I once had new asphalt put on my circle drive. They put part of it over one of the irrigation sprinklers. The first time the system came on the sprinkler popped up right through the paving. I don't think you want one popping up in the middle of the pool. I would remove it and plug or mend the line as needed.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sprinklers are meant to change as your landscape changes. I just finished something similar.

Just finished laying a paver patio next to the pool deck. I had three heads along that edge, and they would be covered up by pavers. I figured that if I simply capped the pipe, I would no doubt have a leak somewhere in the future, and saw myself digging up pavers to deal with it. I still had useful heads on that zone, so it made sense. If I was completely abandoning a zone, then I would have just disconnected it, therefore no water pressure.

Cut back as far as you can until you're out of range of the pool, then cap there, if possible. That way, you can re-route the sprinkler for another use, and then you can eliminate future damage to your pool.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

4. Back To Top    #4

I removed some sprinkler heads and PVC pipe. I capped off the pipes along the edge of my lot and was able to use them again after the pool was finished.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd move it and the piping. You really wouldn't want a leak possibility, no matter how remote, under the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Good point, I never thought about it leaking or accidentally popping up! Yikes that could be bad!

Do you think I'll have a problem with settling in that area?
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

7. Back To Top    #7

Remove it and fill and tamp it good and it won't be an issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd move it and the piping. You really wouldn't want a leak possibility, no matter how remote, under the pool.

X2....Remove the leak potential no matter how small.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem