Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The problem with "rock" speakers...

1. Back To Top    #1

The problem with "rock" speakers...

There's always lots of discussion about the various outdoor rock speakers. I have a pair from Outdoor Speaker Depot and they sound good enough, but I thought I'd throw this out for those folks who are thinking of buying a set. They are great for around a patio, as the speakers in them are angled slightly up from horizontal. But I've found that for hearing the music while in my (inground) pool, I have to turn them up quite a bit, enough that they're too loud for the patio and the neighbors. So, although I haven't tried it yet, I think the better option for pool tunes would be to mount a set of regular outdoor speakers on short posts and point them down towards the pool. This is assuming that your setup is like mine in that the pool is not next to the house. (In which case you could mount them under the eaves and angle them down toward the pool.)

I just thought I'd throw that out for the benefit of those who are looking to buy some outdoor speakers.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    20 x 46 Vinyl (self-built)
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump : Pentair Quad D.E. 80 filter : Pentair IC-40 SWG : Raypak 335k N.G. heater
    Diving board : Slide : 4 Jandy Deck Jets : Automatic Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The problem with "rock" speakers...

That's a good point. Thanks for mentioning this item.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a good point but my new rock speakers really ROCK and I am not ready to give them up. We do not seem to have your situation and the music sounds great when we are in and out of the pool It may be trial and error for others
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm considering using the type that you bury in the ground. I've heard them before, and thought they sounded really good. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried them against the regular and/or rock type.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Interesting.....I am about to install4 of these around our pool. Hoping to disperse the sound so it does not have to get to loud. I will see if I can angle them down a little with mulch with out looking to bad...
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

6. Back To Top    #6

Everyone setup will be different. So what works for one may not work for the other and vice versa.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Everyone setup will be different. So what works for one may not work for the other and vice versa.
    True. I just bought a set off Amazon. TIC brand, same company that makes the green ones you bury. Paired it up with a cheapo Pyle 15W amp. Anything past half way is louder than ****. Pretty pleased with the sound quality, and the price too.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I second this. I also have on the opposite side of the pool a pair of Bose 151se mounted high on the wall of the Flamingo Lounge, so when I am in the pool I listen with quadraphonic sound well almost but is seems to sound incredible. The wife wanted to add outdoor speakers so that people in the Flamingo Lounge could adjust the volume lower for conversation. You can see my set up in this thread outdoor-rock-speakers-t25771.html

6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

Fully agree. I have rock on one side of the pool deck at there native angle, and niles on the otherside attached to the cabana and angled down. The niles sound far better and have to crank the rocks when in the pool.

Looking to replace them with inground TIC of Bose, will post a comparison if it would benefit anyone....
    40,000 inground pool
    Intelliflo VF pump