Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to measure

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

How to measure

What do you guys use to measure bleach and acid, etc....? Today the pool calculator told me to add 75 oz of acid and I had to look up an OZ to Gallon converson to figure out how much of the bottle to add.
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central, CT

Re: How to measure

When I add liquid chlorine I use a glass measuring cup.

I also have a an 8 cup pitcher with lines marked at every 8 oz. that I use for bigger quantities .

I guess a 5 gal. pail would work out well too with lines marked at every gal.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I have one of these.

Plastic, won't break. Can be read looking down from above from the inside out, so you can keep the acid down low. ... 14491.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Metro Atlanta, Georgia

I use a 1 quart plastic measuring cup similar to Richard. (I think I got it Walmart or Target someplace like that). I take a 5 gal bucket with some water and add my chems to that. That way when pour the bucket into the pool, I have some control over how fast I'm adding stuff. Just place the whole bucket into the pool, then tip it to slowly pour out the contents in front of my deep end return.

I was a little worried about using plastic when adding acid too. But, the cup didn't melt or anything, it worked a champ. I have one of those OXO ones you can read from the side or from the top, that way I can keep the cup low and still read it like Richard said. I'm not a big fan of glass by the pool. I had a pyrex measuring cup for awhile, but just got nervous I would break it and get glass in the pool. I'm not fan of any glass by the pool frankly.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

I also have a plastic pitcher with graduations and it's fine for most things.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit