First Results

brownchristian

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Finally took posession of the house and pool this weekend and was able to take some test results and here they are.

FC - 5.5 (There have been tabs in the chlorinator and I have been adding bleach so I assume that is why this is high)
CC - 0 (Not sure how accurate this is. When I added the drops it clouded the water but didn't change the color. Is it common for this to be zero?)
TC - 5.5
PH - 8.2 (After the test I added 3/4 gallon of acid and after 2 hours I retested and PH was 7.2)
T/A - 260
CH - 400 (This test is VERY inaccurate. I got tired of counting after 30 and just started releasing drops til the color changed.)
CYA - 100+ (Again I am not sure how accurate I was with this test. Pretty sure the black dot disappeared before I stopped pouring but when I stopped the water was right on 100.)

With these results I have removed the tablets from the chlorinator and plan on doing a 50% water change next weekend. What is the best way to change out the water? Can I remove and replace at the same time? Or should I remove half and then replace half?

Pool looks and feels awesome and I wasn't at all surprised by the CYA numbers. I added bleach Friday and Saturday due to high swimmer load so along with the tablets that probably contributed to the Chlorine being high.

Here are some pics of the pool and equipment.

2011-06-19_19-23-06_220.jpg

2011-06-19_19-20-58_516.jpg

2011-06-19_19-20-41_55.jpg

2011-06-19_19-20-22_503.jpg

I say Enjoy your pool as is. With CYA that high, you'll need to maintain higher FC (7-12), but the actual consumption will be no higher. You seem to have a good grasp on things, as long as you maintain the FC, it won't get algae, and you can deal with the high CYA after you're unpacked and settled, and the weather cools off to where the pool loses some appeal. Right now, I expect that unpacking, dragging boxes around, and so on gets tiring and dusty. A nice cool dip is just the relief you'll need. So bump the FC a little, keep adjusting pH and TA will come down, and enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.