Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquarite failing cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquarite failing cell?

I have an AquaRite SWG that was installed in January of 2006. I'm starting to have concerns about how much chlorine I'm getting out of it. Is there any way of knowing if a cell is starting to fail by the voltage and cell current readings?

Also from what I have read there are about four different Aqua Rite cells, but w/ the age of my unit I think I need the T-15 cell. Is this correct?
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Aquarite failing cell?

The cell should be labeled with a part#. When a cell starts to fail, you will notice a drop in amps and salt level. However, a lowering of the true salt level also has those symptoms so you need to compare the reported salt level with the true salt level via a test kit. My cell was installed in 2005 and is still going strong but I try to keep the CSI in a fairly tight range which I think helps lengthen the life of the cell.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Aquarite failing cell?

Proper water balance for a Salt system is essential for optimum performance.

A lower than recommended CYA level can allow sunlight to consume chlorine quicker than the unit can produce it.
    Clean the cell per the manufacturers instructions. Calcium scaling can reduce chlorine output.

To test the cell:
    Sequentially press the diagnostic button and post the following:
    1. Temp
    2. Cell voltage
    3. Cell current
    4. output %
    5. salinity
    6 produt name
    7. Software revision level

Cell voltage should be 22 to 25 volts when generating otherwise 30-35v
    Cell current is normally between 4.5 and 7.8

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.