Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conversion complete, CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Conversion complete, CYA question

I converted from Baquacil to SWG (about 65 gallons of bleach and 3 days). I also ordered a new DME filter to replace an undersized sand filter. Conversion went more quickly than I expected, so my new equipment wasn't ready to install. So trying to speed things up (oops?), I started adding 3# of CYA granules (via broadcasting) before plumbing in the new filter and SWG. It mostly disappeared overnight so I added an extra 4# via broadcasting. It was 90%-ish gone the next day when I swapped out the filter.
    My question:
    When I measure CYA, it comes up as zero. Am I flubbing the test? Did all the CYA eventually end up in the filter and get thrown away? I didn't really notice it as I removed the sand, but I didn't comb through the sand either. My TF100 kit is new, so the chemicals should be good.
    20x40 vinyl liner -- 30k gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair FNS Plus Polypropylene DE Filter - 60 SF
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator
    TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conversion complete, CYA question

If it sat in the bottom and didn't get vacuumed up, be patient. It can take a week or so to register. But if you vacuumed after adding it...you know the answer. I bet next time you read the directions and hang it in a sock in front of the returns.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Conversion complete, CYA question

If only all the information for everything was posted in 1 thread. Believe me, I did a lot of reading here before and during my conversion. Not once did I see the sock method until I started searching for CYA problems and then I saw it.
    I searched my discarded sand and didn't notice CYA pieces, so I'll give it another day or so and do another reading. thanks for your response.
    20x40 vinyl liner -- 30k gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair FNS Plus Polypropylene DE Filter - 60 SF
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator
    TF 100 test kit