Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool installed, just got water tested at pool shop.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool installed, just got water tested at pool shop.

Ok, so pool was installed on Thursday. On Friday, I added one lbs shock, and diluted 1lbs CYA. The CYA took to long, so I have the other 2 lbs in a sock, over the edge. Here are my numbers:

FC - 1.5
    CC or TC - 2.0
    pH - 7.73
    TA - 227
    CH - 250
    CYA - 8

It is now Sunday at 5pm. I plan to add the Muriatic Acid. They said to shut the pump off for one hour when I pour it is, then run the pump overnight. Is this how I should do it? And then any other advice is welcome. FC was about 5-6 after I had shocked it on Friday. Yesterday, it was at 3. Should I add more shock, or is that part done, and just get FC to 2-3 and keep it there?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool installed, just got water tested at pool shop.

With CYA around 10 you probably need to add 3 or 4 ppm of chlorine each evening, so that FC is at least 1 the next evening. As CYA comes up you will be able to add less chlorine and reach a slightly higher FC level.

Have the pump running while you add acid, and keep the pump running for at least half an hour afterwards. I suggest adding about 4 cups of acid. I'm trying to imagine what they were thinking about having the pump off and then on overnight, but I can't think of anything other than risking damaging the pool

What the pool store calls "shock" is just another form of chlorine. Shocking the pool is a process, not a thing that you add. Products sold as "shock" usually contain chlorine plus either CYA or calcium. You can use them as a chlorine source as long as you want the additional things they contain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

While your at it, purchase your own test kit so you dont have to rely on the pool store. You can get it from my signature, tftestkits
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I'm trying to imagine what they were thinking about having the pump off and then on overnight, but I can't think of anything other than risking damaging the pool
    I think that they were probably thinking about the acid column vs. walking around method/myth.

First, the myth. As we mentioned in the 1995 research journal article, at that time many pool industry publications promoted this (faulty) method of preferentially lowering pH and/or alkalinity:

That if acid is added by walking it around a pool and evenly distributing it throughout the water, the pH will be preferentially lowered, with only a minor decrease of alkalinity.

And that if acid is poured in a concentrated area, variously referred to as a column, slug, well or cloud, the alkalinity will be drastically reduced, but the pH will not drop as much as it otherwise would.

http://poolhelp.com/handouts/oB_Acid%20 ... andout.pdf

5. Back To Top    #5

Ordering test kit soon. (credit number was stolen, so waiting for new card)

When I add chlorine, do I need to have the solar cover off? Only chlorine I have tonight, is either the 1 lb of shock, which is 73% Calcium HypoChlorite. Or I have the 1" trichlor pucks that go in the chlorinator. Will the pucks dissolve enough tonight to keep the CH above 1?

4 cups?!?! Man, they told me one gallon, and probably another gallon tomorrow. I guess they hope I swing it the other way, and need more chemicals?

Add the acid to the skimmer, or walk the 4 cups around the pool? And again, should the solar cover be off? (I haven't taken it off yet, since the water is still only to 72 degrees. Was 60, 2 days ago.
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

no no no never add acid to the skimmer, kiss your o-rings and seals goodbye!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    no no no never add acid to the skimmer, kiss your o-rings and seals goodbye!
    Ok, thanks. I will take off the solar cover tomorrow, and add 4 cups and wait an hr or so before putting the cover back on. How long do you think I need to wait for the acid to be in the pool, before it is safe to swim? (Maybe I will just do it in the evening)

8. Back To Top    #8

Dilute the acid first. It's easy. Take a plastic bucket, even an old tupperware bowl or pitcher, scoop out some pool water, measure your acid and pour it into the bucket, then pour that in, in front of a return jet so it gets pushed out and mixed right away. Then rinse the bucket in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!