first time TF-100 user - quick fc drop 7 to 0.5?

ddyf

Jun 17, 2011
hello all,

just received my tf-100 kit and joined this excellent forum this week. here are my numbers from last night and this afternoon (3:00pm)...

last night->today
fc: 7 -> 0.5
cc: 0.5 -> 0
ph: 7.5 -> 7.5
t/a: 120 -> 110
ch: 170 -> 220
cya: 60 -> 60

pool is essentially in the shade by 3:00pm...extremely light bather load to this point....water is clear.

seems like a very big drop in fc. anything of concern here? or should i just add chlorine/bleach tonight (as per chlorine/cya chart and pool calc)?

appreciate the time for a newbie!

danny

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that is a very large drop for CYA at 60, I would expect FC to be down to 4 or 5. On the other hand it could be a testing error of some kind. CH shouldn't have gone up like that unless you added calcium. You just got the test kit, so perhaps one or the other of the FC and CH tests were mistaken.

I suggest doing a quick double check with the OTO chlorine test (in the Taylor K-1000 kit that comes inside the TF100). The OTO chlorine test is a good way to quickly check for FC being very low or not very low, though it isn't so good at giving you specific numbers for FC levels over 2.

thanks for the welcome, jason. it's good to be here!

i took your suggestion, and the oto test confirmed the extremely low chlorine reading. i guess it's possible i made some mistakes last night, although i did take my time and tried to be very careful. at any rate, what do you suggest based on today's readings?

water is clear, so i'll try to raise FC to 7 as per chlorine/cya chart. since CH at 220 is on the low side (slightly below normal range)...and considering that i have a bunch of cal-hypo 68%, i'd like to use the cal-hypo (approx 1.5 lbs) to raise FC this time. from reading pool school i understand that cal-hypo can have negative effects over long-term, but i think i'm safe at this point based on current CH level. is my thinking ok here?

whenever i've used cal-hypo (granular/powder) in the past, i typically add it through the skimmer. packaging states skimmer or adding directly into the pool water. is there a specific recommendation re: methodology?

Use the skimmer but not in one big "glomp". Put it in slowly so it will not interfer with the pump and go right to the filter.

YOu could also pre-dilute it in water if you choose although I have never done that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.