Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New user with (hopefully) a minor question

1. Back To Top    #1

New user with (hopefully) a minor question

Hello to all

I do not yet any test kit of any kind (would love to have your recommendation). Right now I do not have any test results. My water looks good and we did have it tested two weeks ago and we got loaded up on chemicals at the pol store to bring the pH level into range. The only problems I am having is the water feels sticky. Crystal clear water, just a bit sticky.

Any thoughts on that would be great along with my best bet for a test kit so I can get the results to post here.

Thank you in advance.
    JoeFixes
    (but only if it is broken!)
    18x33 AG - 15,700 Gallons
    DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New user with (hopefully) a minor question

Get yourself a TF-100 from www.tftestkits.net. This is the best kit with the best value that you will find.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto. Might as well splurge for the XL option, cause you'll be burning through a lot of reagent at first playing with the new toy. And a speedstir. Nobody who has bought one has said it was a waste of money. wow-taylor-speedstir-is-so-cool-t21072.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Guys,

Was hoping you could tell me if this link to the test kit sold on Amazon is the same kit that is sold at tftestkits.com

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Complete-F ... 370&sr=1-1

I get free shipping at Amazon so it would be a bit cheaper, but if it is not the same thing then its not worth the savings. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    JoeFixes
    DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hopefully, I can post this link correctly. This will show you the differences between the two kits. That's what I did to make my decision after looking on Amazon, & ended up going with the TF 100. Take a look & see which is better for you.
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
    8800 gallon AG, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You can't go wrong with the TF-100. It really is a fantastic test kit that put me back in control of my pool. Oh and +1 for the SpeedStir. It's a great little time saver.
    17K Gal. IG Vinyl - 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump - Pentair SMBW 4048 DE Filter - Solar Heating - TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School - The Pool Calculator - How to Shock Your Pool - Help Support This Great Site!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sticky water, ick. If you can recall what sort of stuff the pool store sold you, maybe someone can point out the culprit.

I'll take a wild guess it was an algaecide, but I've never used one so that is a guess. I hear of them creating foaming and bad smells and so that seems like it would start out sticky.

Following the method used on this forum, you won't need expensive sticky potions from the pool store. I use chlorine (3 varieties) and acid. No floc, no clarifiers, no algaecides, no enzymes. When I need calcium I use chlorine with calcium (cal-hypo). When I need CYA I use chlorine with CYA (trichlor pucks). When I need just chlorine I use bleach (most of the time). And since I have fill water with high TA which pushes my pH up, I use muriatic acid to keep pH and TA in line. No other chemicals.

Pretty simple and really cheap. I like simple and cheap pool care.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you!

Probbaly makes sense to go with the one recommended.
    JoeFixes
    DE Filter